Job Standard for WordPress Support Manager, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#.
WordPress Support Manager Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75752
- Pay Grade: E9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Communications and Training
Product Owner position is OIT’s primary resource driving our work in supporting, maintaining, and improving the University’s use of WordPress as an enterprise-level content management system. The position aggregates the authority and responsibility of a project manager, business analyst and stakeholder representative for the University’s WordPress platform, sites, and projects. The Product Owner makes technical decisions; creates, advocates and enforces usage guidelines; manages support resources; develops and delivers end user training and resources; and provides leadership for and execution of technical projects.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree plus 5 years of experience or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication (oral and written) and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize clearly and fluidly and to make decisions and adjustments quickly based on new information.
- Ability to present and explain complex technical topics, problems and alternative solutions to others.
- Experience with the following technologies, standards and concepts:
- use/operation of G Suite for Education, WordPress, Google Analytics, Siteimprove, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Camtasia or Screenflow, Windows and Mac operating systems.
- WordPress, HTML, CSS, WCAG 2.0
- Knowledge of or experience in information architecture. Web usability, layout and design. Web crawlers and accessibility scanners.
- Knowledge of search engine optimization best practices.
- Expert knowledge of WordPress’ authoring, editing and administration tools.
- Experience working with both functional and technical users to define needs and process changes.
- Experience developing and providing classroom and small-group training on technology subjects.
- Knowledge of or experience with web content management in higher education.
60% of Time the WordPress Support Manager must:
Product and Project
- Ensures colleges, departments and users are able to effectively and efficiently use WordPress. The Product Owner.
- Promotes and provides knowledge and best practices for website administrators and content authors.
- Monitors the University’s WordPress projects identifying resource needs; performing quality reviews; and identifies quality and timeline issues as appropriate. Keeps management aware of situations.
- Collaborates with stakeholders and technical staff to move the work forward. Accepts work on behalf of stakeholders.
- Makes use of research and web analytics to define work and determine priorities.
Manages the University’s WordPress service offering to:
- Ensure quality, ensure compliance, maximize performance and user experience.
- Facilitate department and college efforts to develop and provide content.
- Actively maintains technical expertise and understanding of developments in WordPress and related technologies. Maintains current knowledge of best practices. Collaborates with technical and functional staff to proactively apply knowledge to improve processes and mitigate technical issues.
- Manages OIT’s relationships with WordPress stakeholders—department site administrators, Office of Communications and Marketing, end users, technical staff, third-party vendors/contractors.
- Supervises student staff responsible for configuration, development, maintenance, testing and support of the University’s public-facing content management system.
- Monitors content and configuration of WordPress sites to assure compliance with University policies and support of the vision of the Director of University Web Strategy in the Office of Communications and Marketing; provides technical expertise and assistance to OIT Web Accessibility Team; evaluates proposed changes for adherence to accessibility guidelines; manages and recommends technical changes to maintain accessibility and compliance.
35% of Time the WordPress Support Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the WordPress Support Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.