The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is pleased to introduce Panopto, a new video recording and hosting platform for the Boise State community.
Panopto was selected by a group of faculty stakeholders and replaces Techsmith Relay. (OIT will decommission the Techsmith Relay platform in June 2020.)
In addition to simple video recording and hosting, Panopto allows students, faculty and staff to do more with their online videos. Examples include:
- Panopto integrates with Blackboard in multiple ways. Faculty can simply add single videos to a content area, or create a curation of course videos inside a course folder. Additionally, faculty can create graded video assignments, where students are instructed to use Panopto to record and submit their work.
- In addition to Blackboard, Panopto integrates with Zoom’s cloud recording service. Zoom Pro users can choose to record their meetings, and the integration will automatically move them to a personal folder in Panopto.
- Enhanced classroom recording capabilities. Faculty will be able to schedule their lectures to record automatically, negating the need to open up a program and manually record every lecture. Panopto also has the ability to join multiple feeds simultaneously. This would allow faculty to record a Powerpoint screen capture, their webcam, and a mobile phone or tablet capturing a whiteboard all in one video package.
- A powerful search engine. Viewers can search for any word displayed on a screen capture, and most spoken words indexed through Panopto’s automatic speech recognition technology. Words are timestamped, making it easy for viewers to jump to any point of a video. If faculty utilize Panopto’s Blackboard integration, students can search for terms across multiple course videos simultaneously.
- Threaded discussions and personal notes on videos. Viewers can start a conversation on a video with their classmates or colleagues, or take time stamped notes as a reminder to go back and review.
All Boise State students, faculty and staff have access to Panopto and can begin exploring its capabilities right away at https://boisestate.hosted.panopto.com/.
Panopto will be installed in OIT-supported classrooms before the start of the spring 2020 semester. Those interested in using it earlier in classrooms, or who wish to schedule automatic recordings for their spring class, should contact Learning Technology Solutions at LTS@boisestate.edu.
OIT also has Panopto help resources available on their website, in addition to a curation of help videos on the Panopto homepage.
OIT will work with the campus community to migrate Techsmith Relay videos to the Panopto platform prior to June 2020.
For those who wish to migrate their content early, feel free to follow OIT’s content migration guide, and contact Learning Technology Solutions at LTS@boisestate.edu with questions about the migration process.