The seventh annual High School Idaho Entrepreneur Challenge took place in January with 46 high school students, representing 16 teams and seven high schools, traveling from across the state of Idaho to compete. This was a hybrid event with four teams participating remotely via Zoom.
The competition is presented in partnership by Boise State University’s Venture College and Teach Idaho, a non-profit supporting teachers and students across the state. The High School Idaho Entrepreneur Challenge is sponsored by Acahand Foundation, IGEM (Idaho Department of Commerce) and Nexus Marketing.
The competition included two tracks: Products and Services & Technology. The competition was held at the College of Innovation and Design’s Innovation Incubator.
Participating High Schools
- The Ambrose School
- Bishop Kelly
- Marsh Valley – represented You Lead Idaho, a program put on by Trailhead Boise
- One Stone
Over the course of several months, high school students worked with their teachers and mentors to form a team, identify a problem, come up with a solution in the form of a business idea, do research, create a pitch deck and practice pitching in front of their teacher and other peers.
Awards included over $3,850 total in cash prizes and were as follows:
- First Place: Cozy Covers, Bishop Kelly High School
- Second Place: Infinity Straws, Bishop Kelly High School
- 3-way tie for Third Place: EcoWax, The Ambrose School; Portable Portions, One Stone; H&H Eyewear, Blackfoot High School
Service & Technology Track
- First Place: Twine Whiskers, One Stone
- Second Place: Wild River Rapid Expeditions, Capital High School
- Third Place: Seamless Suits, Marsh Valley High School as part of You Lead Idaho (presented by Trailhead Boise)
- Fourth Place: Move with Me, Capital High School
Nexus Marketing sponsored a new award this year, called the Eco-Innovator award that rewards Eco-conscious student entrepreneurs whose venture ideas reduce waste, support the environment or contribute to a sustainable future.
This award was given to Cozy Covers from Bishop Kelly High School.