In 1955, while Boise State University was still known as Boise Junior College, the first Nursing Program was established as a three-year program that resulted in an Associate of Arts Degree. The Program changed to a two-year program in 1957 and was endorsed by the National League for Nursing (NLN). Due to rapidly expanding student enrollment, Boise Junior College became Boise State College in 1965, and finally Boise State University in 1974.
The Nursing Program grew rapidly as well, becoming fully accredited with NLN in 1971 and becoming its own department within the College of Health Sciences and with a student enrollment of 191 by 1973. Grant funding provided the initiation of an RN completion BSN Program in 1975, which grew over time and paved the way to start a full-time BSN Undergraduate Program in 1987. The strength of the Undergraduate Program helped Nursing add a Master of Science Program in 2007 as the ADN program was amicably transitioned to a local community college. By 2009, Boise State University became the largest institution of higher education in Idaho and Nursing became the School of Nursing within the College of Health Sciences.
As of 2008, RN-BS Degree Completion Track was established as a way to meet the needs of registered nurses who wanted to complete a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program received initial ACEN accreditation in 1980 and has maintained continuous accreditation of all tracks since that time, with the most recent re-accreditation review in 2010. CCNE accreditation review held their site visit on March 10, 2015.