Student Travel (Policy SON-10)
Last Revision Date
Students and faculty in the School of Nursing.
Scope and Audience
All students in the School of Nursing.
BSU: Travel (Policy 6180)
1. Policy Purpose
These guidelines are to explain the processes for all student travel, whether or not funding is requested. When traveling as part of the School of Nursing (SON), students are to follow these guidelines and are expected to maintain a professional demeanor and attitude which reflects positively upon Boise State University and the SON.
2. Policy Statement
SON reviews requests for travel funding from faculty, staff and students. Funding allocations are made based upon the purpose of the travel, funding availability and student eligibility. Not all travel requests are approved and not all travel is fully funded. Request a travel form from the School of Nursing Administration.
- Undergraduate Pre-Licensure students must have achieved an acceptable GPA of 3.0 (B average) to receive funding.
- Each applicant must complete a “Request for Student Travel Funding” and forward to the sponsoring faculty member. Attach submitted abstract and all relevant documents that describe the event.
- Requests for funding are due within seven days of submission of the abstract. Students who are submitting an abstract for a conference must begin the process when the abstract is first submitted and then must submit the application to the SON within the seven-day deadline.
- SON will review the application and subsequently notify the student and sponsoring faculty member of the decision and amount funded if the request was approved. If the request is denied, a rationale of the decision will be provided. Approval is contingent on abstract acceptance.
- Travel arrangements will be managed by a designated staff member. At no time is the student to make his/her own reservations or purchase tickets without pre-approval of the staff member.
- Once approved, the staff member will initiate contact with the student and determine a meeting date to discuss expenses and determine appropriate conveyance and lodging. It is the responsibility of the staff member to comply with the University’s policy regarding travel and expenses, thus times of departure and lodging arrangements are not at the sole discretion of the traveler. For example, if several students are attending the same conference/event.
- Failure to meet with the staff member in a timely manner may result in the approved travel funding being revoked.
- Arrangements for the printing of a poster, if applicable, will also be arranged and authorized by the staff member at the same meeting when travel arrangements are discussed. Unauthorized poster printing will not be funded.
- Upon return, the student is required to disseminate conference information in a timely manner and in accordance with the plan outlined in the original application.
Request for Student Travel Funding
BSU: Travel (Policy 6180)
Last Review Date
Spring 2008, Spring 2017, July 2020, 4/1/2022