Boise State Online Celebrates Winter 2021 Graduates

Congratulations to our graduating Broncos on your well-deserved success — you did it!

Read more about seven of our fall 2021 graduates and their unique journeys to Boise State Online and graduation.

Alexander Ramos enjoys time with his loved ones. Alexander Ramos

Alexander Ramos needed a degree program to fit his busy lifestyle. As a full-time PET/nuclear medicine technologist and parent of two, Alexander needed a pathway to career advancement. That’s when he discovered the convenience of online learning at Boise State University.

While earning his bachelor’s degree in imaging sciences, Alexander said he could learn on his own terms, completing coursework when it was most convenient for him. There was no need to worry about commutes, as he could log on and begin working while his children were still asleep!

“My career outlook is much brighter as a nuclear medicine technologist due to potential for salary increase and expanding into other related areas such as clinical research or radiology administration,” he said. “My co-workers have already noticed a difference in my knowledge levels from all the curriculum covered throughout the program.”

Learn more about Boise State Online’s Bachelor of Science in Imaging Sciences program. 

Alexander Mattison

Opportunity came knocking for Boise State running back Alexander Mattison in 2018. After lighting it up on the Blue for three seasons, Mattison declared for the NFL draft a year before graduation. Since being drafted by the Minnesota Vikings, Mattison has continued his education at Boise State, always aiming to earn his degree from the place where it all started.

“I wanted to make sure I graduated from Boise State,” he said. “I didn’t want to switch over to any other college.”

Mattison graduated in 2021 with a Bachelor of Arts in Multidisciplinary Studies, a communications minor, and two certificates in Spanish and leadership. After graduation, Alexander Mattison plans to continue playing football and find ways to promote good mental health with his brand, #IAmGifted.

Learn more about Boise State Online’s Bachelor of Arts in Multidisciplinary Studies program. 

Ryan Harper

After earning his associates degree in 2008, Ryan Harper always knew he wanted to eventually complete his undergraduate education. But with a new job came new responsibilities. Combined with a growing family, Ryan just couldn’t find the time to return to earning his bachelor’s.

It wasn’t until years later that Ryan found Boise State Online’s Imaging Sciences program, providing the flexibility he needed to both learn and work full-time.

“By far it’s been my most enjoyable out of any college experience that I’ve had,” Ryan said. “I’ve had nothing but great experience with the faculty at Boise State.”

Ryan will graduate from Boise State Online this fall and aims to further his career in the imaging sciences field with his new degree!

Cali Rasmussen enjoys time with her loved ones. Cali Rasmussen

Cali Rasmussen began her educational journey 25 years ago with the goal of earning her law degree and working her way to becoming a judge. But, according to Cali, the universe had other plans.

After running the gauntlet of life’s challenges, including cancer, job loss and divorce, Cali and her two children sought a fresh start in Mesa, Arizona. After earning her paralegal certification and working as a paralegal for years, Cali needed to further her education in order to move up in her career. Now, she’s looking forward to graduating from Boise State Online with a Bachelor of Applied Science with a certificate in leadership!

“I wouldn’t be where I am today without the support of my husband and the sacrifices my husband and children have had to make to get me to this point,” she said.

After all these years, Cali said her career goals haven’t changed, and plans on LSAT in preparation for law school after graduation!

Learn more about Boise State Online’s Bachelor of Applied Science program. 

Carisa Bohn enjoys time with her loved ones. Carisa Bohn

As an instructor at Northern Virginia Community College, Carisa Bohn needed to further her education to better teach her own students. Bohn brought two decades of experience to her online bachelor of imaging science degree program, using her background to help advance her experience at Boise State!

“My family kept me going, encouraging me and supporting this adventure even when I had less time to spend with them. I would not have been as successful as I am without them,” she said. “My husband is my biggest cheerleader, he was always first to pick me up when I felt discouraged or that I couldn’t keep going. My son, any time he saw me stressed was first to give me a huge hug and tell me it’s going to be ok.”

Now, Bohn said she’s even more knowledgeable in the imaging sciences field and can better assist her students with the education she received at Boise State. After graduation, she said she plans to take some time off before embarking on her master’s in education.

Phoenix Maglaughlin poses in her cap and gown in front of a Christmas tree. Phoenix Maglaughlin

Phoenix Maglaughlin wanted to provide her children with a better life, searching for a career that would allow her to spend more time with her family. While working three jobs, Phoenix said she knew earning her bachelor’s degree in public health would give her the best chance at success.

“As a single mom, there were not enough hours in the day to cook, clean, work (at times more than one job), help kids with homework, run kids to activities and deal with all that life was throwing my way,” she said. “I do not know how I would have been able to fit in driving to and from an on-campus class a couple times a week, spending the time in class, and carving out time to do class work afterwards.”

After five-and-a-half years, Phoenix reached her goal of graduation, proving to herself that she could accomplish anything she set her mind to!

“Obtaining my degree has opened my eyes to so many possibilities for my future,” she said. “This will not be the end of my journey, just the beginning of opportunities!”

Learn more about Boise State Online’s Bachelor of Arts in Public Health program.

Tiffany Jones enjoys time with her loved ones and her dogs. Tiffany Jones

Tiffany Jones set a goal of joining the public health field, but needed a bachelor’s degree to confidently enter the job market. Tiffany discovered Boise State Online’s bachelor of public health degree program, helping her gain the experience she needed.

Throughout her educational journey, Tiffany said the support of advisor Becky Clawson helped answer any questions and ease her concerns while connecting her to the program while she continued working in California.

“I feel prepared for the job force and am excited to put what I have learned into my career,” Tiffany said. “I plan to get my certification to become a lactation educator.”

More Information about Boise State Online

Boise State Online offers 100+ online programs and 900+ unique online courses! Each program has the flexibility for students to balance all of life’s responsibilities and achieve their academic dreams whether it is a bachelor’s degree, a graduate degree or a single, online class.

Want to learn more? Register for an information session today!

Note: The Multidisciplinary Studies Program name was changed to Interdisciplinary Professional Studies in April 2022.