The Accuplacer Math Placement Assessment is a proven placement tool to accurately place you in a Mathematics class you can succeed in. Every student at Boise State is required to fulfill a Math requirement, and the Accuplacer can ensure your success! If you are a STEM, Business, Health Sciences, or any other major that requires more than a basic math course, then the Accuplacer is for you. It offers you a chance to accelerate along your degree path, meet perquisites, and most importantly ensures that you’re not repeating material you already know.
The Accuplacer Math Placement Assessment is delivered at the Proctoring and Certification Services Building, located at 1406 Chrisway Dr, Boise, ID 83706. PACS is open Monday through Friday from 9AM to 5 PM, and testing times start as late as 3PM.
The Accuplacer is administered by appointment only. A fee of $25.00 per attempt is due at registration. The Accuplacer can be attempted two times per semester. A valid Boise State or government ID is required at check-in. Personal items are not allowed in the exam room. A TI 30X IIS calculator and scratch paper will be provided.
If you are an incoming student attending an orientation program in Summer 2023, either remotely or in person, contact Dane Johns directly to schedule your no-fee Accuplacer exam. DaneJohns@boisestate.edu
Remote Accuplacer exams are intended for Boise State University students who are not local to the Treasure Valley. If you are local to the Treasure Valley, register for an in-person exam using the button below.
Proctoring and Certification Services are offering limited Accuplacer proctoring via the Zoom conferencing tool. Spaces are extremely limited, as a result no refunds are offered if you miss your appointment, and you will need to request a reschedule at least 72 hours in advance if you need to reschedule without paying for an additional testing space. You MUST use a computer, either a laptop or a desktop for these exams. A tablet or phone will not work.
Students who register for one of these sessions will receive an email on the morning of their exam containing their Zoom meeting link. Clicking the link will launch Zoom and start the testing process. Test takers must download and install Zoom ahead of exam day. If you’re new to Zoom, select the SSO sign-in option the first time you launch the app. If prompted, provide the Boise State institution link (boisestate.zoom.us). You will then be able to sign-in to Zoom using your Boise State Student Account.
To avoid technical issues on test day, please use Google Chrome to take the exam. If you’re already a Chrome user, verify that you’re using the most current version.
Note: All appointments are Mountain Time.
Please read the following guidelines before registering:
- You will need 2 sheets of blank paper and a pencil before starting the exam. You will need to show these to the proctor.
- You are required to have a clear desk or table surface, free from disallowed items.
- You must use a computer that will be able to run Zoom software and has a webcam and microphone. If this is a desktop the webcam must be separate as the proctor will require you to show them the room you’re testing in.
- You must have a reliable internet connection.
- You must take the exam in a private space where you can take the test uninterrupted.
- You will have to confirm your identity through the camera with your proctor by using a VALID government or school ID.
- The proctor will require you to scan the room you are located in (possibly multiple times) to ensure the integrity of the test.
- You phone will be turned off. You will have to show the proctor your phone at the start of the test.
- You may use a handheld calculator so long as it does not connect to the internet, have an alphanumeric keyboard, or contains graphic capabilities. Before the test begins, you must clear the calculator memory in view of the proctor.
- You are required to share your desktop screen for the entirety of the exam (please hide private information, close all tabs, and turn notifications off before the start of your exam).
- The proctor will request control of your computer if there is any suspected academic dishonesty.
- You will be monitored by video for the entirety of the exam.
- You will have a two-hour testing window to finish your exam. If you reach the end of the two-hour window and you haven’t finished your exam we will ask you to submit the exam unfinished. Most students finish the exam in about an hour.
- If you’re experiencing technical difficulty while trying to connect to your scheduled Zoom session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
- Missed Zoom appointments are non-refundable.
Canceling/Rescheduling your Appointment
Remote Testing availability is extremely limited. Spaces are limited, no refunds are offered if you miss your appointment. You need to request a reschedule at least 72 hours in advance to reschedule without paying for an additional testing time. Be sure you are available at the time you sign up for. If you would like to cancel/reschedule your scheduled session, please email PACS@Boisestate.edu at least 72 hours ahead of your scheduled time with your name, date, and time of your initial appointment.
How is math placement determined?
All students seeking a degree must complete 3-5 credits in mathematics, placement tests do not waive this requirement. Please speak with an adviser before taking the Accuplacer. Your scores from the math portions of the ACT® or SAT® tests can be used for placement. See The table below for placement cutoffs. You may take the indicated course if your score is high enough. You may be exempt from the placement exam if you have taken an appropriate prerequisite course. Math 15 and Math 25 do not require a placement exam. Prior to selecting a math course, check the course prerequisites and the degree requirements for your major.
|Category||ACT Math Score||SAT Math Score||Accuplacer Math Score||Eligible courses|
|1||<18||<430||<244 (QAS)||Math 103, 123P, 153P, or other based on score|
|2||18-22||430-530||244 (QAS)||Math 108, 123, 133, 153|
|3||23-26||540-610||256 (QAS)||Math 149P, 157, 143, 149, 254|
|4||27-28||620-640||254 (AAF)||Math 144, 160, 161|
|5||29||650||268 (AAF)||Math 170|
The CollegeBoard provides free practice materials for the Accuplacer. Students can prepare for the exam by completing the following practice tests:
- The Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Practice Test
- The Advanced Algebra and Functions Practice Test
Additional practice problems and resources can be accessed by creating an account at https://practice.accuplacer.org/.