Skip to main content

Medical Emergencies

If you become aware of a seriously ill or injured person, you should:

  • Call 9-1-1 right away.
  • Be prepared to provide:
    • Nature of the illness or injury
    • Location of victim: Street address and room number
    • Status of victim: conscious, breathing, bleeding
    • Victim’s injury if known
    • Hazardous materials involved
  • Do not attempt to move the victim unless she/he is in danger of further injury
  • Properly trained individuals should:
    • Begin CPR if necessary
    • Commence first aid, particularly to stop heavy bleeding, while waiting for further assistance
  • If alcohol poisoning is suspected:
    • Keep victim awake
    • Turn on his/her side
    • Contact Department of Public Safety at 208-426-6911
  • Remain with the person until the police or emergency medical personnel arrive.

If the injured person is a Boise State University employee, contact their supervisor as soon as possible.  If it is after hours or on the weekend, call  Department of Public Safety at 208-426-6911 and they can locate a specific faculty or staff member and leave them a message.

If you were the injured person, contact Risk Management at 208-426-3638 once you are able to in order to file a claim or document your work related injury.

Back To Top