Skip to main content

What is a Campus Security Authority (CSA)

Wait…I’m a what?

The Clery Act requires all institutions to collect crime reports from a variety of individuals and organizations that Clery considers to be “campus security authorities.”  Campus Security Authority is a Clery-specific term that encompasses individuals and organizations with an institution:

  • A campus police or security dept
  • An individual or group with responsibility for campus safety (this includes Orientation Leaders and Hosts to non-campus groups)
  • An individual or unit that institutional materials indicate to whom student and employees should report criminal offenses
  • An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings.  An official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution.
  • Employees or other individuals who supervise students during University-related off-campus travel are considered by the U.S. Department of Education to be Campus Security Authorities for the duration of the travel period even if they are otherwise not considered a Campus Security Authority.

 And now what do I have to do?

As a CSA, you have some specific responsibilities.

  1. You are required to promptly report alleged Clery crimes that are reported to you by submitting an online CSA Crime Reporting Form.  When in doubt, fill it out!  If you have questions about a report, please contact Boise State University’s Clery Compliance Officer (CCO), Val Uranga, at  Also, try to encourage the victim of the crime to report to the Boise State University Department of Public Safety (208) 426-6911.
    • In addition, if a serious crime that may cause an ongoing threat to the Boise State community is reported to anyone who is defined as a Campus Security Authority, that individual should not wait until the end of the year to report that incident but should promptly report it to the Department of Public Safety by filling out the online CSA Crime Reporting Form. You may also call the Department of Public Safety at (208) 426-6911. The institution has a responsibility to notify the campus community about any crimes which pose an ongoing threat to the community, and as such, Campus Security Authorities are obligated by law to report crimes immediately to the Boise State Department of Public Safety. If there is any question about whether an ongoing threat exists, immediately contact the Boise State University Department of Public Safety at (208) 426-6911 to discuss the matter further.
  2. Participate in annual CSA training.  The Clery Compliance officer will send out information annually about training during the Spring Semester.  As a CSA, you will be required to take the refresher training course and confirm that you do or do not have crimes to report.
  3. Respond to the annual request for statistics, including notifying the Clery Compliance Officer that you have no crimes to report.  This can be done when completing the Campus Security Authority Re-Certification Course or by submitting an online CSA Crime Reporting Form to indicate you have no crimes to report.