Skip to main content

Change My Major Instructions

Also includes instructions to add a second major or certificate further below.

Log in to myBoiseState, and then select Change My Major below the “My Academics” tab.

example of path to change my major

Change Major

To make any changes to current major, select the Change My Major box at the bottom of the page.

example of change my major button

To change your major

  1. Search for the major you would like to change to,
  2. click the ‘+‘ next to that major
example of adding major to change to

Note: You must have at least one active major at all times. If you have only one major and try to submit that change without adding your new major, you will receive an error message. This means, you have to drop the current major and add the new major before clicking ‘submit’.

At any time prior to clicking submit, if you click Start Over, this will remove any changes made on the current page and Cancel will take you to back to the ‘Change my Major’ home page.

example of change major submit button
  1. Click the ‘trash can’ symbol, this removes the major you are changing from.
  2. Click ‘Submit’ so that the changes made process.

Once processed, you will see ‘Updated Academics’.

example of updated academics page

Add a Second Major or Certificate

To add a second major or certificate the process will be about the same as the Change Major instructions above. When doing either, all you need to do is;

  1. Search for the major or certificate you would like to change to or add,
  2. Click the ‘+’, next to that major
  3. Click ‘Submit’ so that the changes made process.
example add 2nd degree

The following is your view once you click, ‘submit’.

example of confirmation screen

Update Academics

You will see the changes you have requested. (Please pay attention to the pop up box with notes.)

example of notes after adding major

If the new major you have selected is a high intervention major, these require departmental approval. The high intervention majors will have the ‘Flag’ symbol shown below alongside of that particular major. When you submit the request, it will be in a pending status, which requires placement into a pre-plan.

example of high intervention flag
example of updated academics

At this time the department will receive your request and either approve the plan or deny it.


You will receive an email either approving the change or directing you to some action. If the department requires some action on your part, it will need completed prior to a final decision.

Need Assistance?

Contact the Office of the Registrar at (208) 426-4249, (800) 824-7017, or email

Back To Top