“Thank you for inviting me to be part of the project. I loved the modules because they supported mathematics content goals and mathematics pedagogy goals in my work with teacher candidates. The intentionality of video clips was superb to engage teacher candidates in discussions of student reasoning and strategies.” – Marta Magiera, Marquette University
Welcome to VCAST!
The design-based VCAST research project, funded by the National Science Foundation (1726543), focuses on developing curriculum materials that invite secondary teacher candidates to solve challenging mathematical tasks, watch videos and examine written work of secondary students solving the same tasks, describe student reasoning, and evaluate and predict students’ problem-solving processes. The VCAST curriculum includes asynchronous components delivered through an online platform (the VCAST app) and synchronous components implemented by mathematics course instructors. The VCAST modules have been implemented by university faculty across the US, and are a promising tool for developing candidates’ mathematical knowledge of students’ ways of thinking AND the pedagogical dispositions needed to implement responsive teaching practices.
Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
Why Become a VCAST Partner?
Request instructor access to the VCAST modules! To request additional information, please contact VCAST at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 208-426-1829.
News & Events
- Cavey, L. O., Totorica, T., Mo, Y., Carney, M., (2022, July 18-23). Cycles of Evidence Collection in the development of a measure of teacher knowledge. [Research Report] The 2022 International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education Annual Conference, Alicante, Spain.
- Cavey, L.O., Totorica, T., DuCloux, K.K., Giné, R., Gerstenschlager, N., Hopkins, T., Magiera, M., Naresh, N., & Roberson, L. (2022, February 10-12). Stories from the field: MTE learning via implementation of a video-based intervention [Symposium session]. The Twenty-Sixth Annual Conference of the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators, Las Vegas, NV, United States.
- Cavey, L.O., *Naresh, N., *DuCloux, K.K. & Totorica, T. (2021, October 14-17) Eliciting dispositions for teaching in the context of a video-based intervention for secondary teacher candidates [Research report]. The 43rd Annual Meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education, Philadelphia, PA, United States.
- Totorica, T., Cavey, L.O., Libberton, J. & Lowenthal, P.R. (2021, October 14-17). Designing a video-based intervention to elicit teacher candidates’ mathematical ideas: The hexagon task [Brief research report]. The 43rd Annual Meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education, Philadelphia, PA, United States.
- Cavey, L. O., Totorica, T., & Lowenthal, P. (2021, July 11-18). Students’ unconventional graphical representations of covariational reasoning [Virtual conference presentation]. The 14th International Congress on Mathematical Education, Shanghai, China.
- Mo, Y., Cavey, L. O., Carney, M., Totorica, T., & Lowenthal, P. (2021, July 11-18). A unique item format to assess attentiveness to students’ mathematical ideas [Virtual conference presentation]. The 14th International Congress on Mathematical Education, Shanghai, China.
- Cavey, L.O., Totorica, T., Libberton, J., Atkins Elliott, L., Jaber, L., Giné, R., & Richard, M. (2021, June 21-23). Pedagogical humility: A necessity for responsive teaching in STEM? [Conference presentation]. UTeach STEM Educators Virtual Conference, Texas, United States.
Lessons learned from creating videos for online video-based instructional modules in mathematics teacher education
- Lowenthal, P. R., & Cavey, L. (2021). Lessons learned from creating videos for online video-based instructional modules in mathematics teacher education. TechTrends, 65(2), 225-235. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11528-021-00581-0
The equitable classroom: What’s the mathematical education of teachers got to do with it?
- Cavey, L.O., Totorica, T., & Libberton, J. (2021). The equitable classroom: What’s the mathematical education of teachers got to do with it? Advancing Research & Innovation in the STEM Education of Preservice Teachers in High-Need School Districts (ARISE). https://aaas-arise.org/2021/08/11/the-equitable-classroom-whats-the-mathematical-education-of-teachers-got-to-do-with-it/
Using think-alouds for response process evidence of teacher attentiveness
- Mo, Y., Carney, M., Cavey, L. O., Totorica, T. (2021). Using think-alouds for response process evidence of teacher attentiveness. Journal of Applied Measurement in Education, 34(1), 10-26.