What is the ambitious goal of this project?
What if we could automatically discover recipes for making new solar panels, aerospace parts, and nuclear materials by working backwards from what we want? The Modeling Sustainability team helps make this dream a reality by developing open software. Projects range from developing new sensors for use in Boise State University laboratories, developing models for simulating materials, and advancing algorithms for extracting knowledge from computer experiment
Students on this team will gain experience in…
- Make and use open software to figure out how to increase the efficiency of materials and materials research related activities.
- Computing, materials, simulations, raspberry pi, automation and open source.
Majors or Interests Needed
- Do you love puzzles? Thinking spatially? Finding patterns in messes? Do you want to automate repetitive things so you can be creative?
- Students in Materials Science and Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Biology and Art are encouraged to apply.
- Any one great at games, math or shapes should contact us!
Dr. Eric Jankowski is an assistant professor in the Micron School of Materials Science and Engineering. He leads the Computational Materials Engineering Laboratory (CMELab) at Boise State. Full bio at http://coen.boisestate.edu/faculty-staff2/bio/?id=191
VIP 200-011, VIP 400-011, or VIP 500-011.
Full semester course. Choose to enroll in 1 or 2 credits.
VIP teams and meeting times will be organized at the beginning of the semester.
Interested in joining this team?
For more information and to request a permission number to register contact Dr. Eric Jankowski OR complete this interest form and someone will contact you. Check out this document for tips on contacting a professor about joining a team.
To register: search by Subject: Vertically Integrated Projects, select section 011 of VIP 200, 400, or 500. Use permission number, here are instructions https://www.boisestate.edu/registrar-help/add-with-permission-number/