University Financial Services (UFS)
University Financial Services (UFS) is a unit within the Division of Finance and Operations (F&O).
Delivering innovative solutions in an ever-changing financial world.
People are our passion; processes and technology are our pathway; customers are our obsession.
Support the University’s community to create success through innovative, high quality solutions.
- Team Oriented: accountable to and understands the dynamics of the team; works cohesively and inclusively to accomplish a common goal.
- Gets Things Done: prioritizes tasks and achieves the end goal.
- Continuous Improvement: intentional commitment to making things better every day.
- Ethical: honesty and integrity guide personal and professional behavior and judgment.
- Adaptable: adjusts to change, being flexible, versatile and cooperative.
- Problem Solver: identifies and understands the interrelated components of an issue and seeks to implement innovative solutions.
- Respect and Inclusivity: demonstrates care, concern and consideration for the perspective, needs and feelings of others.
We are part of a larger organization and as such, our culture can be stronger than that built by Boise State University but it is not wildly different. Our culture is dynamic and our collective job is to continuously improve it.
UFS utilizes the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) to connect our operations to our strategy and ensure effective continuous improvement as a unit. EOS is a system from the book Traction by Gino Wickman. It is woven into our everyday work.
Our Value words state how we show up for each other and participate in our work.
Our three-year picture (vision) supports the University’s strategic plan and informs our one-year goals. Each quarter, we set rocks (goals) by department that ensure we will progress together.
Foundational Trainings Available to All Staff
- Accountable Teams
- Facilitation Training – How to manage an effective meeting
- Five Dysfunctions of a Team (new, initial rollout to the manager team)
- CliftonStrengths (formerly StrengthsFinder)
- Equity and inclusion training
- BUILD (Boise State Uniting for Inclusion and Leadership in Diversity)
- GROW (Get Ready for Opportunities at Work)
These foundational trainings are supplemented by training tailored to the needs of each job to ensure staff are able to develop needed skills. Developmental training is also supported to allow employees to gain the knowledge needed to switch roles or be promoted.
Communication Methodologies in Place
- UFS newsletter twice per month
- Periodic informal update emails
- Weekly staff meetings
- Quarterly UFS All Staff meetings
- Quarterly manager meetings
- Seasonal social events
- Suggestion box
- Annual employee survey to measure satisfaction followed by all staff meeting to discuss and debrief
UFS Statement on Work-Life Satisfaction
The term work-life balance brings up a picture of a scale with work on one side and home on the other and the idea that equal effort or time is spent in both areas. It gets more complicated the more elements that we try to balance (family, friends, work, health, religion, activism, charitable work, etc.). Instead of using this term, we use Work-Life Satisfaction.
Work-Life Satisfaction describes a scenario where we allow each person to have the flexibility to define what satisfaction looks like while meeting critical business needs and supporting our teammates. Everyone has their own life goals and work fits into those differently for all of us. We strive to provide an environment where this is acknowledged and supported.
- We support flexibility and hybrid working.
- Vacation is an important benefit, we encourage all levels of employees to utilize their time off and prioritize mental health.
- We focus on productivity vs. overtime.
- Provide opportunities for meaningful and rewarding work.
- We are supportive of employee education and career growth.
Provides guidance and training related to:
- Transaction processing.
- Leveraging Bronco Hub segment strings.
- Proper asset classification and tracking.
- Revenue recognition.
- Managing fiscal responsibilities.
- Reducing tax burden.
- Acquisition or lease of approved space in support of the campus master plan.
- Bond issuance and management for approved campus projects.
- Provide business case analysis and advising to campus departments.
- Cash and investment management.
- University banking and merchant services.
- Provide financial wellness education.
- Process departmental deposits.
- Assist students with student account questions and maintain account accuracy.
- Receive and process payments for tuition and fees.
- Provide 1098-T tax forms.
- Process department charges and credit uploads.
- Manage and lead process improvement projects. prioritized through the roadmap process.
- Focus on adoption and lead change management on process improvement projects.
- Facilitate conversations and guide groups to clarity and agreement on outcome.
- Manage Bronco Hub opt-in functionality.
- Advocate for Bronco Hub enhancements.
- Maintain Bronco Hub Training Portal.
- Manage and facilitate Readiness Testing for Bronco Hub.
- Maintain system stability and resolve Bronco Hub system issues.
- Advise and plan for Quotes, Bids, Proposals and Contracts/Renewals.
- Serve as a resource for Procure to Pay issues related to process, policy and regulations.
- Guide and provide solutions for unique or complex procurement and/or payments.
- Manage and Execute Requisitions, Purchase Orders and Sponsored Projects Purchases.
- Approve and process requests for P-Cards, Disbursements, Internal Payments, Expense Reports, Correcting Entries, Suppliers and Classification of Independent Contractors.
- Coordinate Group or Individual Training for Procure to Pay processes and assist with best practices.
- Provide guidance and recommendations of Procure to Pay process and data toward University initiatives.
- Plan and allocate financial and human resources in support of the University’s strategic plan.
- Develop and submit State budget requests and required reports.
- Produce objective, accurate and timely information and analysis.
- Manage the overall University-wide budget.
- Providing support, tools and training to campus units to promote effective and efficient budgetary practices.
Website coming soon!
- Experts who are up to date on current P-Card purchasing processes.
- Support specific colleges and units with procurements and payments.
- Measure and monitor outcomes against Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to ensure improved timeliness, quality and service.
- Allow departments and faculty to focus on their mission by spending less time on learning and processing transactions.
- Provide internal administrative support.
- Coordinate logistics for team meetings and events.
- Plan and publish unit-wide communications.
- Support publishing for quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Prepare and manage budget for departments within the unit.
- Process Marketplace store update requests for all of campus.
- HR liaison for unit departments at all points of the hiring process.