CASS Advising Guide
Advising within Arts and Sciences
The Center for Advising and Student Success (CASS) provides personalized advising to lower division students within the College of Arts and Sciences (COAS). Advisors assist students navigate academic requirements, degree planning, campus resources, and course registration.
Within the College, advising is coordinated between the CASS office and department offices. Advisors typically work on an appointment basis and students schedule individual appointments online. Scheduled drop-in days during peak advising times are updated and posted each semester.
Once a student achieves sophomore status (26+ completed credits) or junior status (57+ completed credits), they transfer to upper division advising which occurs within the major department. Your CASS advisor will help prepare you for departmental-based advising.
CASS provides personalized, timely, and collaborative advising to assist undergraduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences in navigating tools and opportunities toward achieving educational, professional, and personal goals.
CASS Advising Outcomes
- Through the advising process, establish an understanding of the structures of Boise State, the College of Arts and Sciences, and degree programs that will help you achieve your educational goals.
- Utilize Boise State and COAS-based tools to navigate, visualize and track progress in intended programs.
- Build upon values, interests, and strengths to establish personal goals within curricular (classes) and co-curricular (involvement, internships) experiences.
- View COAS Road Map to Success
- Check Boise State email frequently and use your Boise State email when writing to campus offices and faculty
- Access your Boise State Student Center
- Enrollment appointment is the Boise State term for when your registration opens for the next semester. Be proactive in scheduling your first semester Required Advising appointment.
Wondering what advisors can help you with?
- How to get involved and engaged at Boise State and within your major.
- Concerns about your schedule or classes.
- How to start researching a minor or certificate.
- Assistance with how to make a plan of study.
- Referrals to student resources or offices on campus.
- Advising Appointment boisestate.edu/coas-advising/schedule-with-an-advisor/
- COAS Advising Road Map boisestate.edu/coas-advising/roadmap
- COAS Departments boisestate.edu/coas/academics/departments/
- Career Services boisestate.edu/career/
- Financial Aid boisestate.edu/financialaid/
- Registrars Office boisestate.edu/registrar/
- Academic Advising and Success Center boisestate.edu/aasc/