Tracy Sunderland awarded Fellowship in Performing and Media Arts

The Idaho Commision on the Arts awarded Tracy Sunderland a Fellowship in Performing and Media Arts. A multi-hyphenate artist working in theatre and film, Sunderland teaches in the Theatre Arts Program and directs “Lost Girl,” the first production of the 2023-2024 season. “It’s very humbling and gratifying to be a recipient,” Sunderland said. “The really wonderful aspect of this Fellowship is that it honors artistic merit and practice.”

Given out every two years by the Idaho Commission on the Arts (ICA), the Fellowships recognize outstanding artists, honoring work deemed to exhibit the highest artistic merit during peer review,” the ICA states on their website. “Applicants were reviewed anonymously in a highly competitive process by panelists from out of state and were judged on the basis of existing work and professional history.” Each Fellowship winner receives $5000. Sunderland states she will likely use the Fellowship “to pursue further training in physical theatre and devising practices that I wouldn’t be able to pursue otherwise. I’m still learning and this will help me deepen my skill sets. I’m very grateful to be able to call myself an artist and I also work really hard at it.”

About Tracy Sunderland

A writer, director, actor and teacher, Sunderland creates alternative forms of theatre and short film. Often staged in unconventional locations, her works tend to incorporate various media or involve audience participation. The Philadelphia Fringe Festival recently staged Sunderland’s recent work, “Another Agatha.” Sunderland earned an MA from the London Film School and an MFA in acting from UT Austin. The founder of Migration Theory performance arts company, Sunderland also serves as an associate artist of Boise Contemporary Theater, the Digital Stage Director for the Boise Philharmonic and a Lecturer at BSU. She received her first Arts Idaho Fellowship in 2016.

You can read more about other ICA Fellowship Winners on their website here.

You can purchase tickets to “Lost Girl,” written by Kimberly Belflower and directed by Tracy Sunderland, here.