What is the COBE Computer Placement Exam?
The COBE Computer Placement Exam allows students to place out of’ ITM 104 Operating Systems and Word Processing Topics, ITM 105 Spreadsheet Topics and ITM 106 Database Topics. Students have the option to take the ITM classes (ITM 104, 105, 106) OR to successfully complete the COBE Computer Placement Exam to place out of the requirements for these courses.
Who Should Take the Exam
All business majors are required to take ITM105. In addition, ITM106 is required for the following majors:
- Information Technology Management
- Supply Chain Management
Other majors may use one or more of the ITM 104, ITM 105 and ITM 106 classes. Check your specific major requirements.
Students may take the COBE Computer Placement Exam even if they have already taken the class. If a student is currently enrolled in ITM 104, ITM 105, and/or ITM 106 and then successfully completes the corresponding COBE Computer Placement Exam, the student must drop that class before the class drop deadline or receive a ‘W’ on their transcript. If the student does not drop the class at all the student will receive an “F” for the class even if they pass the exam.
Where to Take the Exam
Take the COBE Computer Placement Exam in the Boise State University Testing Center located in the Simplot Micron Advising and Success Hub; 2nd Floor; Room 213. You do not need to sign up for an appointment; exams are given on a walk in basis if a computer is available.
The Pearson MyITLab license for the exam can be purchased directly from Pearson using a credit card or PayPal while you are at the Testing Center. All MyITLab licenses are valid for 14 days after the license is used to enter your student profile at the Boise State University Testing Center. Note: If you need to use your 2nd attempt, make sure it is 24 hours after the first attempt, and within the 14 day license duration, or another license will have to be purchased.
Visit the Testing Center website for testing hours. Please note that the COBE Computer Placement Exam is not available to take during finals week or holiday breaks.
What to Bring to the Exam
- Boise State University student ID or other form of picture ID
- Student ID Number
- Credit card or PayPal information for the purchase of a Pearson MyITLab 2016 Readiness Test course access code
- Each exam section is timed at 120 minutes per section and time is monitored by the computer.
- You may request your test scores and print your exam results at the end of each section.
- A score of 70% or above on each section is required to pass.
- The exams do not show up on the student transcript for credit or grades as it is a placement/proficiency exam. A pass score is recorded for prerequisite purposes only.
Please email the IT-SCM department at email@example.com and include the following information in order to record your scores:
- full name,
- Boise State University student number,
- exam section(s) you completed.