AML at TMS

Timothy Phero, Kaelee Novich and Allyssa Bateman

Timothy Phero, Kaelee Novich and Allyssa Bateman presented at TMS 2023 on March 19-23, 2023. Over 4000 materials experts attended the conference, hosted by The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society.

Tim presented his work on additively manufactured strain sensors for nuclear applications. He shares his experience: “In addition to re-connecting with colleagues I rarely see from across the country, I had a great time learning about the wide variety of research being performed around the world. Being a student, I feel like it’s easy for me to get too focused on my work and lose sight of the broader impacts of my research. Being at TMS helped me regain perspective of this and showed me that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of others who also share similar visions to conduct both meaningful and impactful research, science, and engineering.”

Timothy Phero standing at a podium looking at a large screen during a presentation

Kaelee presented her work on additively manufactured digital image correlation for nuclear materials. About the experience, she shares: “After this long winter, it was nice to go to San Diego to the annual TMS conference. I was able to connect with peers and Boise State alumni. I presented on “Additively Manufactured Digital Image Correlation Patterns for Nuclear Materials” in the Mechanical Behavior of Nuclear Reactor Materials and Components III Symposium and my audience was quite interested in-situ monitoring systems in nuclear reactors. Overall, I enjoyed my TMS experience and I was proud of myself for accomplishing my first conference presentation as a graduate student.”

woman standing in front of a presentation screen

Allyssa presented a collaborative project done in partnership with University of Texas at San Antonio and Oak Ridge National Lab, titled “Location specific characterization of additively manufactured stainless steel to inform build data analytics.” She states, “TMS is a huge venue to learn about all aspects of materials science. Pulling in researchers from across the world, I appreciated the chance to meet up with project collaborators and past colleagues, while expanding my network with new connections. I connected with others doing research similar to mine and exchanged research insights.”