Skip to main content

Guidance for Drones

University Users (i.e. employees, students, affiliates, volunteers) and visitors must follow the University’s Drone Operations policy (#12120) along with any other applicable federal, state, or local laws/regulations, and additional university policies.  The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is the primary regulator of drones.

Regulatory requirements are rapidly changing and vary based upon the purpose and specifics of flight operations leading to guidance as frequently asked questions.

Questions around regulatory requirements and operation assessments should be directed to

Frequently Asked Questions

On Campus - All Operators

On Campus Operations - What's Required?

All flight operations conducted on campus must be approved before any flights can take place.  Operators without all permissions/approvals will likely have Public Safety and Boise Police chasing them down.  On campus operations may include:

  • University business
  • Teaching activities and student projects
  • Research
  • Contractors
  • Drone Registration and Flight Notification Form
  • Liability Insurance

Drone (UAS) Registration and Operation Form - When is it required?

All pilots operating on campus and university users operating on or off campus must submit the Drone (UAS) Registration and Operation Form and receive approval prior to conducting flight operations.  University stakeholders review submissions to ensure

  • FAA and university requirements are met,
  • Flights will not interfere with other campus activities, and
  • Risk is minimized for people and property.

Operators must have submission approval prior to any drone operations.

University Users

University Users - What's Required?

The University’s Drone Operations policy (#12120) applies to University Users (i.e. employees, students, affiliates, volunteers) regardless of the flight operation location.  At a minimum the following are required:

Additional items that may be needed:

  • LAANC submission and approval
  • Property owner approval – on and off campus

Insurance Requirements

Insurance Requirements - What are they?

Boise State owned drones must be registered with Risk Management and Insurance and covered under the State of Idaho’s aviation policy.  New university drones may be registered through submission of the Drone (UAS) Registration and Operation form.

If Boise State is not the drone owner, the owner/operator must provide proof of general and aviation liability insurance with a minimum of $1,000,000 and the certificate must include “Boise State University” and “State of Idaho” as additional insured.

Additional Questions

Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) system - What is it and when is it required?

The FAA utilizes the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) system to review and approve flights in proximity to major airports like the Boise Airport.  LAANC approval is required for all on campus operations and may be required in off campus locations.  Please be aware the campus resides in multiple sections with varying altitude restrictions.  Flights under the restrictions typically undergo automated approval while flight beyond the restriction require manual approval.