The BSU IGL is a node in the EARTHTIME Network for the Calibration of Earth History. In the spirit of teamwork and cooperation fostered by the EARTHTIME Initiative, please take a look at our developing archive of analytical procedures used in the BSU IGL for isotope geochemistry and geochronology*.
*Disclaimer: While the information below represents the accumulated knowledge and practices used in the BSU IGL, the laboratory and affiliated staff are not responsible nor liable for errors of omission or otherwise. Procedures are always being refined, so these files are periodically updated.
- Mineral separations handbook, last updated, 12/10/16
- General clean lab handbook, last updated, 12/10/15
- Column chemistry handbook, last updated, 12/10/16
- U-Th-Pb accessory mineral handbook, last updated, 12/10/16
- Mass spectrometry handbook, last updated, 012/12/16
- Silica gel preparation & cleaning, last updated, 02/13/07
- Uranium oxide correction for 233U-235U spiked samples, last updated, 02/13/07
- Uranium oxide composition determination method (courtesy of Dan Condon, NIGL, UK), last updated, 11/05/08
Shop Drawings & Instructions
- Making microcolumns for U-Pb ion chromatography
- Making a lazy-susan for holding microcolumns
- Stem and puck holder for “Ludwig”-type PFA microcapsules, for accessory mineral dissolution
- Polypropylene stand for a double quartz sub-boiling still (still supplied by Allen Scientific Glass)
- Polypropylene stand for a double PFA sub-boiling still (still supplied by Savillex Corp.)
- Zircon air abrader (GSC/MIT style) (designed by Clark Isachsen, U. Arizona)
Tuesday, Dec 6th, 2016
Enhanced UPbR data reduction spreadsheetA more sophisticated UPbR data reduction (Schmitz and Schoene, 2007) sample template file containing enhancements...
Tuesday, Apr 8th, 2014
Barite removal from heavy mineral separatesBarite is an occasional voluminous component of the non-magnetic heavy mineral fraction of altered volcanic...
Friday, Nov 22nd, 2013
Ultrasonic Clay Separator Device and ManuscriptThis published manuscript (clay_separator_v3s) describes an efficient method for high-volume heavy mineral separation from clay-rich...
Friday, Nov 22nd, 2013
Effects of high-T annealing on CL emissionThese SEM-based cathodoluminescence (CL) photomicrographs of zircon crystals illustrate the positive enhancement of CL emission...
Saturday, Sep 7th, 2013
New instructional resources in the LabShare archive!New slideshows and instructional videos are now available in LabShare! These resources demonstrate the methods...