Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Requirement
Completion of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course or passage of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment (ICLA) is required for renewal of an Idaho professional education credential for anyone who holds one of the following certificates:
- Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education Blended Certificate
- Standard Elementary
- Standard Exceptional Child Certificate
For more information about the options below, please contact Dr. Hannah Carter, email@example.com.
- There are four different assessments, one for each standard – literacy foundations; fluency, vocabulary and comprehension, literacy assessments; and writing.
- Each assessment has 50 multiple choice questions and has a time limit of two hours.
- Passing the assessments (with a score of 74% or higher) satisfies the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy requirement. Printable certificates will be provided at the conclusion of each assessment and should be saved for your records.
- Assessments are taken using online proctoring and can be taken year round.
- The cost is $80 per assessment for a total of $320, which is paid online prior to beginning each assessment.
- While there are no study guides for the revised assessments, Concepts and Competencies Guides that detail the assessment content are found in the table below.
Assessment Standard Link to Concepts and Competencies Guide Program Standard I
Foundational Literacy Concepts
Standard I Concepts and Competencies Guide Elementary Standard II
Fluency, Vocabulary and Comprehension
Standard II Concepts and Competencies Guide Elementary and Secondary Standard III
Standard III Concepts and Competencies Guide Elementary Standard IV
Standard IV Concepts and Competencies Guide Elementary and Secondary
- Beginning in July 2020, all four Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessments have been revised to align with the updated Idaho Teacher Standards for Literacy. Visit the Idaho State Department of Education, Standards for Educator Preparation for more information.