TRS Student and McNair Scholar Awarded Prestigious Internship in D.C.

Julie Ramirez, TRIO, studio portrait
Julie Ramirez, TRS and McNair Scholars Participant

Julie Ramirez, a participant in both the TRIO Rising Scholars and McNair Scholars Programs, and a biomedical biology major at Boise State, was recently chosen to participate in the Keith Sherin Global Leader Semester in Washington, D.C. funded by the Council for Opportunity in Education. Julie was the only student in the nation to be chosen for this honor.

Julie will spend the spring 2020 semester studying at Marquette University’s Les Aspin Center for Government, while also interning for a congress member or nonprofit organization. The internship is designed to give students the opportunity to learn all about the political process and policy-making. For Julie, it means an opportunity to become a more well-rounded, effective scientist.

“I think what is often lacking in the scientific field is communication of science to the general public and to policy makers,” Julie explains. “This communication is vital for conducting productive science that can be understood by all people and be used to make essential policy. I chose to pursue this internship because I wanted to have a better understanding of the political process so that I can use my science to create long-lasting change through policy in the field of environmental toxicology.”

Congratulations, Julie!

Read the full article here