Austin “Prestige” Julian signs on as new Valorant player

Boise State Esports has a new player for its Valorant team in the form of Austin Julian. Julian, known by his gamertag “Prestige” announced his recruitment on April, 20th.

“Thank you to @doc_haskell and @boisestateesports for giving me this opportunity and I can’t wait to see what lies ahead!” Julian announced on his Instagram.

Julian comes from Zionsville, Indiana and starts his first semester this Fall.

Photo credit Austin Julian.

Austin Julian is well known in the high school Valorant scene due to his involvement in various competitive leagues and tournaments. He has played the game since its release in 2020 and holds a rank of Immortal 3.

“I was first introduced to the world of FPS games during the summer of 2020,” said Prestige in an interview. “I don’t know whether it was the competitive nature of the game, the mechanics, or the outplaying that truly drew me to the game. It might have been everything about it thinking back now. I’ve been playing the game ever since so nearly 3 years now!”

Julian first visited the Boise State Esports Arena during a LAN tournament in Summer 2022. Competitors and their families traveled from all over the world to attend. For many of the players, it was their first time competing in a LAN event. The overall experience left a big impression on Prestige.

“Ever since a LAN event I participated in this past summer… I have not felt a draw to any other school quite as much as I did to Boise. Doc, as well as everyone I’ve met from both the school and the Esports program, have been so hospitable and kind during every step of the process and they already feel like family,” said Julian.

UPDATE – May 8
Speaking With Local News

Julian spoke with local news outlet “Current” about his recruitment. During the interview, he outlined how he came to Boise State as his final enrollment decision as well as his planned degree.

“We looked at several colleges, and I applied to eight in total. I did get accepted to all of them, which made the decision significantly harder,” Julian said in his interview. “So, I had to decide where my esport skills were going to flourish the most. I received academic scholarships and three esports scholarships.”

Julian went on to state that the amount of academic support Boise State offered him in the form of scholarships was a key factor of his decision.

“I’m going to be focusing on IT management,” Julian said. “This is a way to continue my education while pursuing the pro level of Valorant as a player.”

Prestige’s parents, Alli and Rod Julian, showed an overwhelming amount of support for their son during the Current interview.

“Not everyone falls into the category of traditional sports, so for Austin to have esports where he can find community and connection and learn how to be a leader, is really exciting for me as a parent,” Alli Julian said.

Those looking to watch Prestige once he joins the team can visit Boise State’s Youtube and Twitch page. They can also fined him a his personal social media accounts,  @prestige_val on Twitch and @prestige_42 on Twitter

Written by Jacob Palmer
Originally Published April 21, 2023
Updated May 8, 2023