Expected Family Contribution (EFC)*
The EFC is a measure of your family’s financial standing.
It is calculated according to a formula established by law.
*The 23-24 FAFSA will calculate a Student Aid Index (SAI) and the term EFC will no longer be used.
Your family’s taxed and untaxed income, assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security) are all considered in the formula. Also considered are your family size and the number of family members who will attend college during the year.
Please review our changes in finances page if you believe there has been significant changes in your financial circumstances.
- Fill out a FAFSA.
- Wait for email confirmation through your BroncoMail that a FAFSA has been received.
- Log into myBoiseState
- Check your internet settings to allow pop-up screens
- Go to your Student Center
- Select the Student Homepage tile
- Select the Financial Aid tile
- Select the appropriate aid year
- Scroll down and select Budget, Resources and Need
- Click on your Expected Family Contribution if not “0” to review the breakdown between you and your parents.
- In the example, this student is not demonstrating any need