Meet Fulbright Scholar Macy Shane

Macy Shane, a 2022 Fulbright scholar
Macy Shane, a 2022 Fulbright scholar

Boise State has a reputation of advising record numbers of students who receive Fulbright scholarships. These scholarships send students to international locations for graduate studies, advanced research and university teaching opportunities, or primary and secondary school teaching. Macy Shane is one of this year’s Boise State Fulbright scholars out of eight semifinalists representing the university, which includes three alternates who also may receive scholarships if additional funding becomes available, as well as two non-selects who are still named semifinalists.

Macy Shane, an interdisciplinary major with emphases in French and linguistics with a habilitative services certificate, will complete her graduate studies in Canada as a Fulbright scholar. She is most looking forward to being immersed in French Canadian culture and learning about Québécois pedagogy and its school system.

“Growing up in Idaho, I never thought I would have an opportunity like this and it means the world to me,” she said.

Shane says this scholarship will prepare her to teach French at the preschool and elementary levels. And when she returns to the U.S., she hopes to be an advocate for primary world language education standards, teach in a French immersion elementary school, and open her own French immersion preschool one day.

“My advisor Josh Baros from the TRIO Teacher Preparation Program was a wonderful source of encouragement and helped me take a chance and look into applying more,” she said. “And my Fulbright advisor Kate Huebschmann was also very helpful throughout the process of applying and I am forever grateful for her support.”

Huebschmann is a vital resource for students pursuing national, prestigious fellowships. The Honors College has helped 73 students with their Fulbright applications since it opened its fellowship advising office in 2014, and 34 percent (or 25 of those students) have won awards.

Inspired by this story? Let's chat!