Skip to main content
Your Adventure Continues Here

Transferring to Boise State University

Transferring to a new university can be challenging. At Boise State, we’re here to streamline your process so that you can focus on what really matters.

At Boise State, you are considered a transfer student if you are applying to a Bachelor’s degree program and have earned post-secondary credit.

Transfer Application Process

How We Consider Your Application

When you apply to Boise State, your application is primarily considered on the basis of your past academic achievement. Though they are not required, we welcome letters of recommendation, personal statements, or other things you may wish to share with us as we review your application.

In some cases, we may request additional information to help us complete a thorough review of your application. After applying, be sure to check your email for the latest updates regarding your application.

Frequently Asked Questions

Application Process

Who is considered an international student at Boise State University?

You are considered an international applicant if you are a non-U.S. citizen and will require a visa to study legally in the United States. Permanent Residents, Refugees, Asylees, and DACA recipients are not considered international students.

I am still enrolled at my current school. Can I still apply to Boise State?

Yes! Boise State will review your application based upon your in-progress transcripts. We require that you submit your final official transcripts prior to enrollment in your second-semester on campus.

How does Boise State consider applicants with dual citizenship?

If you have dual citizenship, you can indicate this on your application. If you hold U.S. citizenship, Boise State will consider you as a domestic applicant even if you also hold citizenship in another country.

Can you waive my application fee?

Unfortunately, we are unable to waive application fees for international students at this time.

How long will it be before I receive an admissions decision?

First-year undergraduate admissions decisions are typically issued within two weeks after receive all of your application materials. This timeline can vary depending upon the time of year, your individual application, and the volume of applications our office is receiving.

Transcripts & Marksheets

What transcripts or marksheets are considered official? How should I submit my transcripts?

Your transcripts or marksheets will be considered official if they are issued by the school you attended and sent to us directly by the institution. Transcripts should be in a sealed envelope with the issuing school’s official stamp on both the document and across the seal of the envelope.

All official transcripts should be submitted by mail or through an approved secure sending service.

I've attended more than one college or university. Which transcripts should I submit?

You are required to send in transcripts from all colleges and universities you’ve attended—even if you did not graduate—unless otherwise specified by the International Admissions Office.

If you have earned fewer than 14 post-secondary credits (approximately one semester of full-time study), you must also submit your secondary school transcripts.

Does Boise State accept emailed transcripts?

We do not accept transcripts by email or fax.

Do I need to have my transcripts translated?

Yes. If your transcripts are issued in a language other than English, you must also send a certified, literal translation for consideration.

Do you require an external credential evaluation (e.g. WES, ECE)?

No external credential evaluation is required for the purposes of admissions. The International Admissions Office does all credential evaluation in-house.

If you plan to transfer credit earned at a non-U.S. institution to Boise State, an external credential evaluation may be required. More information is available from the Office of the Registrar.

How will I know if my transcripts have been received?

You can check on the status of your application materials in your “To-Do List” on your myBoiseState student center.

English Proficiency

How do international students demonstrate their English proficiency when applying to Boise State?

You can demonstrate your English proficiency in a number of ways. We accept TOEFL and IELTS results and also consider numerous other exams for undergraduate applicants. Please review our English proficiency requirements section for the full list of ways that you can prove your English ability.

I don't have a TOEFL or IELTS score. Can I still apply to Boise State?

Yes! There are numerous ways to demonstrate your English proficiency when applying to the university. If you would like to study English rather than enroll in a degree program, you may be a good candidate for our Intensive English Program.

My situation is unique and I'm not sure if I need to submit proof of English proficiency. What should I do?

First, review our English proficiency requirement section located previously on this page. If you have already submitted an application to Boise State, you may appeal our English proficiency policy by submitting the English Proficiency Policy Appeal Form. Please allow 7 – 10 business days for review of your policy appeal.

If you’re still unsure, please email us at

I took English 101 at a U.S. institution. Will my English proficiency requirement be waived?

If the course you took at another institution is deemed equivalent to English 101 at Boise State, your English proficiency requirement will be met. Since every institution is different, our office will review your transcripts and determine if your previous coursework will satisfy this requirement.

Test Scores

Are international students required to submit SAT or ACT results?

No. International students are not required to submit SAT or ACT results. If you are taking one of those exams, however, you are welcome to send them to us and we will consider them with your application.

How do I send my test scores to Boise State University?

Test results should be sent as official copies directly from the testing agency. Boise State University’s school code is 4018.

Does Boise State award credit for exams such as AP and IB?

Yes, students can earn credit for past exams. For full details, see the Credit for Prior Learning page.

Transfer Student Questions

How will my credits transfer to Boise State University?

Boise State considers students’ past work for possible credit transfer. If you have studied outside of the U.S., any international transcripts will require an external credential evaluation. For full details on the credit transfer process, please review the Registrar’s International Credit Evaluation page.

What if I've attended multiple universities?

Many transfer students have attended multiple universities. During the application process, you’ll just be required to send an official transcript from each institution you’ve attended.

Are international transfer students eligible for scholarships at Boise State?

Yes! International transfer students are eligible to be considered for the Transfer Treasure Scholarship, as well as for International Admissions’ Global Scholarships.