Skip to main content

Cancel Application

Prior to Occupancy

If you would like to cancel your housing application or assignment prior to taking occupancy, the following terms apply

Applying for the Full Academic Year (Fall 2024 – Spring 2025)

Cancellation DateContract Buyout Fee
Before July 15Not Applicable
After July 15$300
After Move-In (August 15)Not enrolled at Boise State: $500

Enrolled in 1+ credits at Boise State: $500 or up to ½ of the remaining rate of the room for academic year (whichever is greater)
Before December 15 (Spring Applicants Only)Not Applicable
After December 15 (Spring Applicants Only)$300
After February 1Not enrolled at Boise State: $500

Enrolled in 1+ credits at Boise State: remaining rate of the room for academic year or $500 (whichever is greater)

Your application can be canceled by logging into your Housing Portal:

  • Step 1: Select Residence Hall Applications at the top of the homepage. If you have already completed an application, you will be provided a link to cancel your application if you need to. Make sure to select which application you are wanting to cancel in the drop down menu.
  • Step 2: If you would like to proceed with cancelling your application, select Cancel Application.
  • Step 3: You’ll be taken to a page containing a copy of your signed License Agreement
  • Step 4: Below the agreement is the option to cancel. Fill out why you are canceling your application and sign using your Student ID Number
  • Step 5: Once you let us know why you are cancelling and sign with your Student ID Number, you’ll be taken to the page below confirming your cancellation

Please allow 30 days for any refunds to be processed through the university’s systems. The $75 application fee is non-refundable.

If you have questions or concerns, reach out to us at or call at (208) 447-1001. Note, we cannot cancel applications on students behalf.

Leaving After Occupancy

The lease agreement you signed when you applied for housing is a legally binding document for the academic year. If you are seeking to terminate your license agreement and any of the Five (5) reasons listed below apply to you, you will be released from your academic year license agreement.

  • Withdrawal from Boise State or Housing for medical reasons
  • Enrollment and participation in an approved university study abroad program
  • Acceptance of an Internship opportunity that requires you to leave on-campus housing
  • Drafted or commissioned by the U.S. Armed Forces for active duty
  • Graduation

We recognize on occasion students experience extenuating and unforeseen circumstances. If you are withdrawing from Boise State, or experience significant medical hardship your request to have your license agreement terminated may be granted, but cancellation fees still apply.

To start a release request log into your Housing Portal and select Housing Contract Release Request.

Select your current on-campus assignment.

Take the time to read through Section 11 of your License Agreement before proceeding. Once you have read and understand Section 11, sign with your legal name and continue.

Enter when you plan to move-out of your assignment and select the option in the drop down menu that pertains to why you are cancelling your agreement. The options are as follows:

  • Medical Hardship
  • Withdrawal from all Classes
  • University Approved Internship
  • Exchange/ Study Abroad
  • Military Leave
  • Graduation
  • Nonqualifying Event

You will then be brought to a specific page containing information regarding your reason for cancelling. Take the time to review the required documentation and cancelation fees associated.

Note that if you are cancelling due to Medical Hardship, Military Leave, Exchange/ Study Abroad, or an Internship, documentation will be required to submit your request.

Next, select in the drop down menu if you would like to keep your weekly meal plan or if you would like to cancel your meal plan. The options are as follows:

  • I would like to keep my weekly meal plan for the remainder of the semester.
  • I understand and agree to have my weekly meal plan canceled.
  • I do not have a weekly meal plan.

If you have questions or concerns regarding your meal plan, please contact the Information Desk at (208) 426-4636.

Take the time to review the information on the Release Request Confirmation page. This will contain important details regarding next steps and the move-out process.

Once your Release Request is submitted, you should receive a confirmation email to your Boise State email account.

Keep an eye on your Boise State email account following your submission for your decision letter from the Release Request Committee.