How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Fire Plans Examiner Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 08961
- Pay Grade: K
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 3
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function:: Facilities Services Operations
To coordinate, expedite, and review fire plans and specifications for compliance; serve as a department technical expert in the application of specific fire, life safety, and related codes and standards; perform related work
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range of specialized skills and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
Good knowledge of NFPA 72, National Fire Alarm Code and NFPA 13, Installation of Sprinkler Systems. Experience performing design review and compliance evaluation of fire plans for large, complex, multi-occupancy buildings; operating a personal computer to generate written reports documenting findings of fire plans reviews.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to generate, cultivate and maintain business relationships with the corporate community, maintain a high level of communication skills and work well with a diverse group of people.
- Must be able to work independently, make decisions and problem solve
- Ability to compose written material with a succinct message
- Knowledge of fire safety codes and ADA guidelines
60% of Time the Fire Plans Examiner must:
- Examines plans and specifications for new construction and remodeling of buildings
- Determines design compliance with specific fire, and life safety codes and standards
- Prepares detailed reports and correspondence regarding design review code compliance assessment
- Consults with and advises architects, engineers, attorneys, contractors, local and state officials, and the public on interpretation and application of various codes and regulations
- Researches and evaluates new materials and construction technology for compliance with requirements
- Prepares and presents training sessions for local fire officials
- Serves as an expert witness
35% of Time the Fire Plans Examiner
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Fire Plans Examiner
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Fire Plans Examiner
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.