Library exhibit this April
Albertsons Library will host a fanart exhibit on the first floor during the month of April, Boise State’s Research and Creative Activity Month. An artists’ reception will take place Tues., April 2 from 4 – 6 pm. The call for submissions is open Feb. 16 through March 15.
According to Henry Jenkins, a professor of communication arts at the University of Southern California, “Fanart is a catchall term for any two- or three-dimensional work that copies, appropriates from, or illustrates media-produced stories and characters. Forms of fanart include exact copies of popular characters such as Garfield, Pokemon, or Spiderman…”
Simply put, fanart is an act of love.
Show your library love by submitting a piece of art for our Fanart Exhibit! Submissions are open to Boise State students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends of the university. The reception is open to the public and participating artists will receive personalized invitations.
Submissions can include, but are not limited to:
- framed art (pencil, ink, paint)
- art prints (canvas, metal and wood)
- 3D prints
- pen-plotted art
- printed digital art
- laser cut or etched art
- sewn art
- crocheted art
- and more!
First floor to exhibit wall art and 3D work
The library has reserved wall space to hang artwork, and display cases for three-dimensional work. The number of submissions displayed by each artist will be determined by space availability.
If you make it, and it’s fanart, it flies! However, submissions of the following nature will not be considered: content that is hateful, graphic or vulgar. No nudity will be displayed. Works featuring blood, guns, knives, cartoon violence and AI-generated images will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Albertsons Library reserves the right to reject artwork in any form that does not align with our values. Email email@example.com for more information, and to submit fanart.
The submission process
- Fill out this Google form with submission details and information. If the link doesn’t work, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will receive an email response within a week, to the email address that you added to the Google form. This confirmation email will prompt next steps.
- Submission via the Google form closes March 15. Artists who wish to display must have filled out a form by the end of the day.
- Approved fanart submissions must be delivered to the library beginning March 15, and will be arranged via email with each participating artist. Please note that fanart must be delivered in the medium in which you would like it displayed. For example, digital submissions must be printed, and if you would like your submission framed, you must deliver it already within the frame.
- Fanart delivery deadline is March 25. Fanart not delivered by this date will not be displayed in the April exhibit. Thank you for your understanding.
Alumni employee organizes event
“I’m a digital artist, photographer, and lover of all things fanart! I’d be beyond thrilled to answer any questions about the exhibit, including but not limited to submission details and guidelines. I’m also available to discuss what Albertsons Library can do for you and your fanart!”