Apply to NEW Leadership Idaho
Applications are due by March 24, 2023.
The application may take up to an hour to complete in full. There are short answer questions (see below) that have a considerable impact on the selection process. We highly recommend allowing yourself plenty of time to prepare your application.
There is no direct cost to students. Each participating college and university is asked, but not required, to pay a $500 program fee per student for 2023. This helps cover program materials for the five-day program. NEW LeadershipTM is also supported by donations from corporate sponsors and individuals.
NEW Leadership™ Idaho is open to undergraduate students enrolled for the 2022-2023 academic year in any Idaho college or university, as well as Idaho residents enrolled in out-of-state schools. Any student meeting this criteria may apply. The School of Public Service is committed to including students from diverse socioeconomic, ethnic and racial backgrounds in each NEW Leadership™ program. We strongly encourage students of color, non-traditional backgrounds, and students majoring in all fields to apply.
NEW LeadershipTM Idaho participants are required to attend all summer institute sessions. Once accepted into the program, students will be provided enrollment information. Accepted students are required to confirm their intention to attend, at which point the school will be invoiced for the $500 program fee, or the scholarship activated.
Cancellations made four weeks prior to the first date of the program will be credited back to the sponsoring University at 50%; cancellations made within two weeks of the program are non refundable. The sponsoring University may substitute a waitlisted student at no additional cost.
The application consists of four sections – Personal Information, Short Essays, References and Acknowledgements. You will have the ability to save your work and return to the application if you are unable to complete it in one sitting. The Short Essay questions are listed below, please take some time to compose your answers and check for errors ahead of time.
- List, and take a few paragraphs to describe, any leadership positions you have achieved and any leadership courses or programs you have been involved in. Include month and year. Please note that a lack of experience in this area will not disqualify you from the program.
- Describe the importance of politics on everyday life, this could include local or federal. Have you been involved in any political or community activities? If so, how has your participation affected you? If not, is there a particular type of political or community activity you’d like to become involved with. Minimum 300 words.
- Why do you wish to participate in NEW Leadership Idaho? What inspired you to apply and what do you expect to gain from your participation in this program? Minimum 200 words.
- Please write a brief paragraph introducing yourself to us. What do you want us – and other participants- to know about you? Please note that if you are accepted, this paragraph will be included in conference materials. Approximately 100 words.
- Please submit a resume, no more than two pages.
You will also be asked to provide the Name, Title, Phone Number and Email of three references. At least one of these references must be a professor or faculty member.