Boise State has a number of activities planned this week to celebrate and honor Veterans for their service, particularly a special group of them — the more than 1,200 Veteran students who are now Broncos.
The university supports veteran students with a one-stop Veterans Student Support Services program within the Veteran Services Center. This is one of only 16 dedicated veteran student programs in the nation, and the only one in Idaho.
The center helps coordinate a number of services that help veteran students succeed. The Veteran Services Center helps transition individuals from the military to university life by assisting them in using their GI Bill educational benefits, navigate the onboarding process at the university, as well as providing support to them while enrolled in classes. Veterans Upward Bound is one of several TRIO programs on the campus designed to help veterans prepare for and succeed in post-secondary education. They serve veterans planning to attend college, universities, technical schools, certificate programs and more.
The Division of Extended Studies also provides military programs, which offer award-winning academic programs and services for active-duty military service members, veterans and military spouses and families. Working with various campus partners, they connect with military students on the Boise State campus, Mountain Home Air Force Base, Gowen Field and online.
To honor these students, the over 200 veterans employed by the university, and other veterans in the community, Boise State will host a number of events in celebration of Veterans Day.
- The Student Union Building and Alumni and Friends Center will be illuminated with red, white and blue lights.
Thursday, Nov. 11
- 8 a.m. – Veterans Student Association Ruck Walk: Starting at the Veteran Services Center and ending at the Capitol State House.
- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. – ASBSU Mental Health Committee presents the Veterans Day Care-nival on the Quad.
- 11 a.m. – Ringing of the bell at the Statehouse by ROTC Color Guard.
- 11:30 a.m. – Veterans Luncheon, SUB Lookout Room. Hosted by the Dean of Students and Student Affairs.
- 3 p.m. – Veterans Day cake at the Veteran Services Center.
Friday, Nov. 12
- A number of veteran students and support staff have been invited to the Boise State Football game and will be honored at halftime, as well as at halftime of this week’s men’s basketball game.