American Nurses Association Code of Ethics for Nurses
The School of Nursing faculty subscribes to the American Nurses’ Association (ANA) Code of Ethics for Nurses as approved by the ANA House of Delegates in June 2001 and revised in September 2014. Students are expected to learn and perform in accordance with this Code.
- Provision 1 – The nurse practices with compassion and respect for the inherent dignity, worth, and unique attributes of every person.
- Provision 2 – The nurse’s primary commitment is to the patient, whether an individual, family, group, community, or population.
- Provision 3 – The nurse promotes, advocates for, and protects the rights, health, and safety of the patient.
- Provision 4 – The nurse has authority, accountability, and responsibility for nursing practice; makes decisions; and takes action consistent with the obligation to promote health and to provide optimal care.
- Provision 5 – The nurse owes the same duties to self as to others, including the responsibility to promote health and safety, preserve wholeness of character and integrity, maintain competence, and continue personal and professional growth.
- Provision 6 – The nurse, though individual and collective effort, establishes, maintains, and improves the ethical environment of the work setting and conditions of employment that are conducive to safe, quality health care.
- Provision 7 – The nurse, in all roles and settings, advances the profession through research and scholarly inquiry, professional standards development, and the generation of both nursing and health policy.
- Provision 8 – The nurse collaborates with other health professionals and the public to protect human rights, promote health diplomacy, and reduce health disparities.
- Provision 9 – The profession of nursing, collectively through its professional organizations, must articulate nursing values, maintain the integrity of the profession, and integrate principles of social justice into nursing and health policy.
Copies of the Code, including interpretive statements, may be purchased online at the Nursing World website.