April Alumni Spotlight Whitney Roberts PA-C

whitney egbert roberts pa-cWhitney A (Egbert) Roberts, PA-C, St. Luke’s Mtn. Home, Idaho State University Physician Assistant Program Graduate, Boise State University Alumni

PA-C Whitney A (Egbert) Roberts describes herself as friendly, fair, and fun.

Whitney A (Egbert) Roberts, PA-C, is a Physician Assistant specialist in Mountain Home, Idaho. She graduated from the Idaho State University Physician Assistant program in 2013 and has been practicing medicine for over eight years in diverse experiences, especially in Physician Assistant. She is affiliated with many hospitals, including St Luke’s Elmore Medical Center. Whitney graduated from Boise State University with a Bachelor of Science in Health Science Studies with a Science Emphasis and a minor in Business. She graduated with the highest honors, magna cum laude, and has been the Ada County Medical Society/Lisa K. Warren Memorial Medical Information and a Community Environmental Department Scholar. She served as a peer advisor in the College of Health Science Student Services and Academic Advising Office, advising her peers into programs like her own. She is an Idaho native hailing from Kimberly, Idaho, where she attended the College of Southern of Idaho in Twin Falls, Idaho. She shares a strong passion for learning and helping others in her field. We are proud to have her as a Bronco.

What is it like being a PA during a pandemic?

Like with every other aspect in life, it has been challenging…the constant procedure changes, the never-ending information to keep up on, and the unknown aspects of the virus. It’s also been amazing to see the epidemiological processes in action and the science of vaccine production.

What do you think was the most important experience you had at Boise State?

The most important experience I had at BSU was learning my limits. I had to be okay not finishing a project to ‘perfection’ and be okay getting a B grade so I had time to fit the rest of my studies and work in. It was hard, but it was a lesson I was glad to have had once I was in PA school.

What resources did you use at Boise State to prepare you for your career as a PA?

The advising resources at BSU helped me stay organized and see the path I needed to take in regards to classes to complete my degree. I was part of a club that had meetings with presenters who spoke about their medical careers which helped me plan my next steps after BSU.

Do you think Boise State prepared you for your professional school/career?

Absolutely; BSU helped teach me how I learn and how to utilize my study time efficiently. It helped me juggle the multiple facets involved with the school, work, and social life.

What would you tell yourself now knowing what you know now about applying to PA school?

PA school is hard. I had been told it was like drinking from a firehose, but I thought I’d be fine. School normally came easy to me, but PA school was a whole different challenge.

What do you wish you would have known before becoming a PA student?

You won’t know everything; you’ll often feel like you know very little. It’s all part of the job: the researching, studying, and asking questions never ends. I had a physician tell me, “the moment you quit asking questions and learning is the moment that you should consider getting out of medicine.”

Would you like to learn more from Whitney, please email Erin Colburn for her contact information.