May Alumni Spotlight Austin Snyder

Austin Snyder, M3 Harvard Medical School, Boise State Alumni

Austin Snyder is from Nampa, Idaho, and graduated from Boise State University summa cum laude with a Bachelor of Science in Health Science Studies with a Science emphasis and a minor in Biology. He was given the honor of serving as a College of Health Sciences Marshal during his commencement ceremony in December 2017. Austin served in multiple leadership roles at Boise State University, most notably as the Founder and Former President of First Generation Pre-Meds, a student organization aimed at mentoring students interested in pursuing medical school, particularly first-generation college students. Austin also served as a General Chemistry Learning Assistant and Boise State Relay for Life Event Lead. He was also involved in research at Boise State through the Vertically Integrated Projects program. He presented his research at the Undergraduate Research and Scholarship Conference and Idaho Conference of Undergraduate Research. Austin also worked as an Emergency Department Scribe at Saint Alphonsus during his undergraduate career and served as a Patient Volunteer at Heart ‘n Home Hospice. Since graduation, Austin has worked as an MCAT instructor and mentors students who reach out to him through the Future Physicians’ Club. Austin is now a 3rd-year medical student at Harvard Medical School and will be applying to Diagnostic Radiology residencies this fall.

What is it like being a Medical Student during a pandemic?

It is definitely different… Many changes had to be made once I returned to the hospital for my clinical rotations, but I have adapted, and it seems to be the new normal.

What do you think was the most important experience you had at Boise State?

Boise State University Relay for Life

What resources did you use at Boise State to prepare you for your medical career?

Advising, upperclassmen, and local volunteer services and organizations through Boise State.

Do you think Boise State prepared you for your medical school career?

Yes, I felt like the advising and resources at Boise State was helpful in helping me get to where I am today. In the end, though, it is up to you to do the work and obtain the grades, letters of recommendation, and MCAT scores needed to get accepted into medical school.

What would you tell yourself now, knowing what you know now about applying to medical school?

I would tell myself to try and relax and have fun with the process. Applying to medical school can be very stressful. Still, if you get started early on with your extracurriculars and MCAT studying, you will be able to maintain a good steady state and not feel so overwhelmed during the year you are applying to medical school.

What do you wish you would have known before becoming a medical student?

I wish that I would have known how busy the first couple of years of medical school would have been. I would recommend enjoying the time you have between applying to medical school and matriculation because it is the last bit of free time you may have for a while!

Would you like to learn more from Austin Snyder? Please email Erin Colburn at erincolburn@boisestate.edu for his contact information.