November Alumni Spotlight Kyle Davis

kyle davis m1 west virginiaKyle Davis, M1 West Virginia University School of Medicine

Kyle Davis is currently a first-year medical student at the West Virginia University School of Medicine.  Prior to him attending medical school he attended Boise State as a Post-baccalaureate student completing his necessary prerequisite courses and finishing out his experiences to help him succeed in going to Medical School.  Kyle graduated from the College of Idaho in 2012, majoring in Political Economy with a minor in Religion.  After graduating from C of I, he served in the U.S. Navy Special Operations Forces before coming to Boise State.  He is originally from Newark, Delaware.  If you would like to know more about his story please see below:

Three adjectives that describe you:

Understanding, Driven and Resilient

What are you reading right now?

The History of Surgery and the Emperor of All Maladies

What is it like being a medical student during a pandemic?

For me, not so bad because my school is fully in person and I get to interact with all of my fellow colleagues. I also have full access to all resources provided by the school. I am also at a Big 12 university with a massive teaching hospital. This makes my experiences that much better as a medical student and as a future physician.

Do you think Boise State prepared you for medical school?

Yes, absolutely. Boise State is a great place to prepare students for Medical School. I think that the students who maintain a high level of academic proficiency while at Boise State will have a less hectic transition into their first year of Medical School.

What resources did you use at Boise State to prepare you for your career as a medical school?

Academic advising and letters of recommendation from professors as well as my Learning Assistant position. All of these combined contributed to my success in matriculating to an MD program.

What do you think was the most important experience you had at Boise State?

My pre-med classes greatly prepared me for medical school. The instructors held us to a high level academically while also maintaining the fairness and integrity of each course.

What were your three most meaningful extracurricular’s?

Honestly, I wasn’t involved in too many extra-curriculars organic to Boise State however, in my off time I developed and patented a surgical airway device that is intended for use on the battlefield. Overall, I think my most important extracurricular now is working out, specifically CrossFit and Olympic weightlifting. I place a high value on my physical fitness.

Did you receive any scholarships, participate in student organizations or have any specific roles on campus?

G.I. Bill, I was also the Learning Assistant for Anatomy and Physiology with Professor Koob.

What do you wish you would have known before becoming a medical student?

The curriculum specifically at an MD program first year does seem to vary.

What would you tell yourself now knowing what you know now about applying to medical school?

I would have utilized a few more resources in preparing for my entrance exam the MCAT. Resources like UWorld that I had no idea existed. I believe this would have helped and only aided in my success with this exam.

What are you most grateful for?

My family and friends, who are my support system.

Would you like to talk with Kyle more about his experiences? If so, please contact Erin Colburn at erincolburn@boisestate.edu.