Skip to main content

Armed Forces for Idaho Residency

What are the Armed Forces?

Armed Forces means the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and the reserve forces of those groups and does not include the National Guard or any other reserve force.

Requirements for Residency

Any student, the spouse of the student, or the parent/guardian of a dependent student who meets one of the following criteria:

  1. Member of the Armed Forces who entered service as an Idaho resident, has maintained Idaho resident status, but is stationed outside of Idaho on military orders
  2. Member of the Armed Forces stationed in Idaho on military orders.
  3. Officer or enlisted member of the Idaho National Guard
  4. Member who has been separated, under honorable conditions, from the Armed Forces after at least 2 years of service:
  • Who at the time of separation designated Idaho as the intended domicile, and within 1 year of the date of separation enters an Institution; or
  • Who listed Idaho as the home of record in service, and within 1 year of the date of separation enters an Institution; or
  • Who moves to Idaho for the purpose of establishing domicile; provided however, to maintain status as a resident student, such person must actively establish domicile in Idaho within 1 year of registration at an Institution.


Domicile is an individual’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation; it is the place where the individual intends to remain and expects to return to when leaving without establishing a new domicile elsewhere.

Required Documentation for Armed Forces

  • If you are a dependent, provide proof of dependent status. (i.e. marriage license, listed as dependent on orders, dependent ID, federal taxes showing dependency).
  • Active orders or DD-214 showing separation
  • Idaho Residency Determination Worksheet

How to Change Your Residency Status

  1. Choose one of the paths to residency listed below and prepare your documentation.
  2. Complete the Idaho Residency Determination Worksheet.
  3. Email the worksheet and supporting documentation to You may also bring the worksheet and documentation to the Registrar’s Office, Admin Building Room 110.

A form requesting reclassification to resident status may be filed after qualifying criteria have been satisfied but no later than 10 school days after the opening of the semester for which the change in status is requested.


Email or call (208) 426-4249