Skip to main content

Independent Student for Idaho Residency

What is an Independent Student?

You receive less than 50% financial support from a parent/guardian; have continuously resided in and maintained a bona fide domicile in Idaho for purposes other than education for at least 12 months prior to the term in which the you is applying for residency.

To establish residency under this statute the student must prove they have received less than 50% of their total financial support from one or more parent(s)/legal guardian(s) as well as proof that the student has been domiciled in Idaho for the 12 consecutive months prior to the semester residency is being sought after for purposes other than education.

Continuously Resided

Continuously Resided means you have maintained a physical presence in Idaho for 12 consecutive months. As an independent student you must have continuously resided in Idaho for the 12 months prior to the term for which residency is sought. Evidence of physical presence in Idaho might include: utility statements, rental agreement, bank statements, documentation from an Idaho employer, etc.


Domicile is an individual’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation; it is the place where the individual intends to remain and expects to return to when leaving without establishing a new domicile elsewhere.


Support means financial support given to the student during the twelve (12) months preceding the opening date of the term for which resident status is requested, but shall not include educational scholarships or grants provided to the student to attend a post-secondary educational institution.

Required Documentation for Independent Students

Idaho Residency Determination Worksheet

If you have been enrolled

If you have been enrolled as a full-time student during the previous 12 months, you will need to prove you have been employed full time in Idaho for those 12 months and filed an Idaho state tax return for the past 12 months.

If you have not been enrolled

If you have not been enrolled as a full-time student during the previous 12 months you must prove you have been domiciled in Idaho by either:

  • Providing proof that you have been employed full time in Idaho for those 12 months as well as filing an Idaho state tax return for the past 12 months.


  • Showing proof of at least 5 of the following items dated 12 months prior to the opening day of the semester in which they are applying for:
  1. Ownership or leasing of a residence in Idaho;
  2. Registration and payment of Idaho taxes or fees, other than sales or income tax;
  3. Registration to vote in Idaho;
  4. Holding an Idaho driver’s license or ID card;
  5. Evidence of abandonment of a previous domicile;
  6. Establishment of accounts with Idaho financial institutions;
  7. Other similar factors such as: enrollment of dependent children in Idaho elementary or secondary schools, acceptance of permanent employment in Idaho, documentation of need to care for relative in Idaho, utility statements, employment documentation.

How to Change Your Residency Status

  1. Choose one of the paths to residency listed below and prepare your documentation.
  2. Complete the Idaho Residency Determination Worksheet.
  3. Email the worksheet and supporting documentation to You may also bring the worksheet and documentation to the Registrar’s Office, Admin Building Room 110.

A form requesting reclassification to resident status may be filed after qualifying criteria have been satisfied but no later than 10 school days after the opening of the semester for which the change in status is requested.


Email or call (208) 426-4249