National Science Foundation (NSF)
The vision of NSF INCLUDES (Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science) catalyzes the STEM enterprise to work collaboratively for inclusive change, resulting in a STEM workforce that reflects the diversity of the nation’s population. NSF INCLUDES seeks to broaden participation in STEM fields through a National Network that inspires and accelerates collaborative efforts aimed at increasing the active participation of those who have been historically excluded and/or underserved in STEM. NSF INCLUDES is distinguished by its focus on collaborative infrastructure building to achieve systemic impacts and results at scale.
Proposals must align with the four (4) NSF INCLUDES key principles, described in the solicitation: (1) broadening participation in STEM, (2) enabling sustainable change in systems, (3) scaling up outcomes in ways that advance equity, and (4) building collaborative infrastructure. These key principles should be integrated throughout proposals and should align with the proposed activities.
NSF INCLUDES anticipates funding 10-15 Awards, with a TOTAL program budget of $5,500,000. NSF INCLUDES anticipates funding up to:
- Two (2) Design and Development Launch Pilots
- Two (2) Collaborative Change Consortia
- One (1) Alliance
- Five (5) Network Connectors
- Five (5) Conferences
Limited Submission Requirements and Timeline:
One (1) application per institution is permitted.
Only proposals approved by the Division of Research and Economic Development may be submitted to this program. For such approval, Principal Investigators must first submit a one- to two-page white paper to email@example.com by August 31, 2022.
If a PI submits a one-page description to NSF (see Important Notes below), this would qualify as a white paper. Please just be sure to send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
If selected to submit a full proposal, PIs must ensure that proposals meet all requirements stated in the RFP, in the announcement, and in the implementing laws and regulations related to this grant program.
Key Submission Dates:
- 8/31/2022 – White paper due to email@example.com. We encourage you to cc your Dean for visibility as well.
- 9/7/2022 – Internal Awardee (and Non-awarded Internal Applicants) Notified.
- 10/18/2022 – Full proposal due to PreAward in the Office of Sponsored Programs.
- 10/25/2022 – Full proposal due to NSF.
- Investigators planning to submit a proposal are strongly encouraged to submit a one-page description of their proposal idea to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two (2) months prior to proposal submission so that an NSF INCLUDES program director can provide feedback on alignment of the idea with NSF INCLUDES’ goals.
- All NSF INCLUDES funded projects must operationalize five design elements of collaborative infrastructure – (1) shared vision, (2) partnerships, (3) goals and metrics, (4) leadership and communication, and (5) expansion, sustainability, and scale – to create systemic change that will lead to the substantially broadened participation of individuals from historically excluded and under-served groups in STEM.
- An individual may serve as a PI or Co-PI on only one NSF INCLUDES proposal per annual due date , not including conferences. Proposals that exceed the PI or Co-PI limit will be returned without review. No exceptions will be made. A PI or co-PI of an active NSF INCLUDES Alliance may not be a PI or co-PI on a proposal under this solicitation, if the Alliance would still be active at the start of the new award. This limit does not include conference proposals.
Did you find a limited submission opportunity? Email us (email@example.com)!