The Federal Initiatives (AKA Directed Funding) program is an opportunity to partner with federal agencies and realize research collaborations through an additive budgeting process in Congress. This is one of many approaches to support strategic research programs, with the peer-reviewed, competitive process by far the most common.
A strong project will have a compelling state or national interest, align with Blueprint for Success, Idaho federal delegation priorities, and the federal agency mission, and enhance existing relationships with that federal agency. Projects may be pursued in the Departments of Defense, Energy, Commerce, Interior, amongst others. Projects with NSF, NIH, or other agencies that only solicit competitive, peer-reviewed projects for funding are not eligible.
All official Boise State University requests for Federal Initiative funding require prior approval and authorization. The following process will be utilized for Federal Initiatives for the FY24 Federal Budget Cycle:
- Solicit ideas via slides no later than Oct 19, 2022
- Invite PIs to engage with Larry Grossman, C|T Group, in person, Oct 31-Nov 1, 2022
- DRED reviews ideas in collaboration with C|T Group, considering funding trends, member interests, and overall viability; request additional information (½ to 1 page white paper) for down-selected project ideas (2-3) in November 2022.
Please submit slides via email to Robyn Williams (email@example.com) by October 19, 2022. Note, if you anticipate submitting slides, please share your availability for October 31-November 1 with Robyn as soon as possible to accommodate scheduling.
Directions for Google, PowerPoint, or PDF slides:
- No more than 4 slides
- Title of project, name(s) of investigators and home units
- What is the project (describe in ~ 3 bullets)
- What is the expected outcome/impact of the project (describe in ~3 bullets)
- Potential federal agency; qualify existing partnership, if any, with federal agency
- Rough budget needs
Please contact Nancy Glenn with questions, firstname.lastname@example.org.