Skip to main content

School Social Work Endorsement

School social workers are required to have a special certification or endorsement in many of the United States.  The requirements for obtaining a school social worker certification or endorsement vary from state to state. State Departments of Education typically determine the requirements for school social work certification or endorsement and it is important that you become familiar with the requirements for the state in which you expect to practice.

Endorsement Requirements

To receive an initial endorsement as a School Social Worker in Idaho:

    • Transcript with Master’s in Social Work (MSW) from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited institution.
    • Complete the linked Google form. You will need to upload your resume, syllabus from a graduate level School Social Work Course (syllabus not required if the course is taken at Boise State or Northwest Nazarene University).
    • An institutional recommendation form (also uploaded to the Google form).
    • The successful completion of a school social work practicum in the final year of the MSW program (Specialization year) in a Pre-K through grade 12 setting. Note: Post-MSW extensive experience working with children and families may be substituted for the completion of a school social work practicum in a Pre-K-12 setting.
    • A current valid Idaho Master’s Level Social Worker License issued by the Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses.

This endorsement is valid for five (5) years. Six (6) credit hours are required every five (5) years in order to renew the endorsement.

The State Board of Education rules concerning endorsement as a school social worker in Idaho can be downloaded from the website.  The State’s standards for School Social Workers (knowledge, performance and disposition) can be found on the Idaho State Department of Education (look for the standards specific to School Social Workers).

If you need to take a school social work course to meet a state requirement, Boise State typically offers this course online each semester.


If you have any question(s), please contact:
Dr. Jill Chonody, Ph.D., MSW, LCSW
Associate Professor
Boise State School of Social Work
Office – (208) 426-3195