Skip to main content

Agency Responsibilities

What are the responsibilities of an agency with a field work/internship placement?

  1. It is the responsibility of the agency to first develop a job description for the student. Include work that is useful, realistic, and relevant work, not clerical or secretarial duties.  Then develop a selection process to select students for the placement.
  2. Provide supervision, such as with a new employee, adequate to insure that the student acquires and practices proper agency procedures.
  3. Expect the same quality of performance as would be required of any new employee with similar experience with that particular agency and the procedures.  Study of code, ordinance, agency Standard Operating Procedures or other appropriate material and familiarization should be assigned routinely.
  4. The supervisor will objectively evaluate the student regarding personal and professional qualities related to his/her effectiveness of performance at the midpoint and end of the fieldwork period using forms provided by the Criminal Justice Department of Boise State.
  5. Administer an exit interview at the end of the Internship or Field Work and objectively discuss the evaluation.  Both strong and weak points should be discussed.  This interview is for the student’s benefit and can only be worthwhile if good and bad points are openly and frankly reviewed.
  6. A copy of the written evaluation is to be forwarded to the appropriate Boise State Practicum/Internship Coordinator of student/agency activities by mail or fax:

Boise State University
Criminal Justice
1910 University Drive, Mail Stop 1955
Boise, ID  83725-1955
Fax: (208) 334-2359

Rating and Evaluation of Performance Guidelines

ExcellentJudgment, knowledge, attitude and activities of extremely high quality; assigned tasks carried out with minimal supervision.  A rating given only to those whose performance is exceptional.
Above AverageEvaluated qualities are better than average but not exceptional; room for improvement; or one area is only average or less.
AverageSatisfactory, but the total of field performance was without special merit; significant amount of supervision is required.
UnsatisfactoryNon-acceptable performance; quality of work did not significantly benefit the agency or meet supervisor’s expectations.
Note:  We assume all of the students to be capable of “average” performance. Higher ratings should be the result of demonstrated superior job performance.

Approximately 60% of the student’s grade will be based on the agency supervisor’s evaluation, which is representative of the caliber of the student’s capability during his/her time with the agency.  The remaining 40% of the grade will come from the written assignments and class attendance.

Agencies must allow students to attend the mandatory one-hour class meeting per week.