What You Learn
- Identify contemporary global challenges facing citizens and communities.
- Compare and contrast how political, economic, and cultural forces shape citizens, governments, and countries across the globe.
- Analyze how global and local conditions interact; Understand local problems in the context of a global framework.
- Identify how stakeholders, institutions, and public policies influence cultural change, economic and social development and foreign relations.
- Analyze and appreciate the diversity of different cultures.
- Analyze the role of social justice, diversity, social well-being and inclusion at global, national, and local levels.
- Acquire a minimum of an intermediate level of language proficiency in a second language.
- Develop a global perspective through the direct participation in a global learning opportunity (i.e., Study Abroad and/or Treasure Valley-based internship)
- Demonstrate the ability to work in team settings with a diverse population
- Reflect on how global studies informs the understanding and practice of public service
The Global Studies major will prepare students to better understand:
- the dynamics of cultural change and diversity across the world;
- differences in social, political and economic development across the world and within regions;
- political and social change in the face of unprecedented demands placed on governments, international organizations, and markets;
- the increasing interconnectedness of people, communities, businesses and governments from around the world.
The Global Studies major will prepare students to work in a fluid global context in which people and businesses are on the move, where there are stark differences in people’s access to basic material goods, where there is increasing demand for natural resources and public spending, and where there is consistent contact among individuals and groups that hold different values and interests. In this major, students will learn the skills necessary to be responsive to a changing global environment as well as developing the skills to help lead change