Skip to main content

Fry Scholarship

Read more about the Fry Scholarship.

Basic eligibility

  • Children and surviving spouses of an active duty member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001 are eligible for this benefit.
  • Children are eligible as of their 18th birthday (unless they have already graduated high school). A child may be married or over 23 and still be eligible. If they became eligible before January 1, 2013 their eligibility ends on their 33rd birthday. The age limitation is removed if the child became eligible on or after January 1, 2013.
  • Spouses – Although surviving spouses do not have a time limit with which to use their benefits, they will lose eligibility to this benefit upon remarriage. You need to be a full-time student for that session (see academic calendar) to receive the full amount of your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). See the semester equivalency table. Your rate of pursuit must be at least 51% (7 credits for undergraduate regular semester) to receive 1/2 of the normal  BAH rate.

How your benefits work

  • Every semester, once you are fully enrolled in classes, submit a declaration with a current COE (Certificate of Eligibility).
  • You will receive a letter in the mail from the VA indicating your enrollment has been processed. The VA will send book money ($41.67 per credit), not to exceed $1000 a year. The book money allowance starts over every fall.
  • On the first of the month, you can expect a direct deposit of BAH for the previous month, if applicable. You are paid for days you are enrolled; short months are pro-rated. If you live on campus, BAH funds must be applied to your housing bill. Go to your myBoiseState student center to make payments.
  • Once the VA processes your enrollment, they send their portion of your tuition directly to Boise State Student Financials/Account Maintenance. If your eligibility is not 100%, the remainder of the tuition needs to be paid prior to the end of the term.
  • If your financial aid paid any portion of your tuition, any overpayment will be deposited directly to your student center account. Be sure that your direct deposit information is current.