Skip to main content

Where Do I Start?

1. Apply for admission to Boise State University

Apply to Boise State

Credits earned at another institution of higher learning may apply toward your degree at Boise State. The Registrar’s Office evaluates your transcript to determine if the courses you have taken elsewhere are equivalent to the courses offered at Boise State. If a course you have taken is equivalent, you can count toward graduation the credits earned in that course, just as if you had earned those credits at Boise State. If the course is not equivalent, those credits count as general elective credits. The transferring of credits is completed only for students seeking their first baccalaureate degree.

You may receive credit for selected military training or experience. Military credits will be used as electives only. Military credits will be processed by the Registrar’s office and posted after the first six weeks of your first active semester.

Joint Service Transcripts and Educational Services Officer

Be aware most military courses transfer over as general elective credits and may limit your ability to explore other areas of study outside your declared Major. Currently, only CCAF (Community College of the Air Force) academic courses have the potential of transferring over as equivalent courses. It is recommended you print your JSTs, review it with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor, and use the Boise State’s Transfer Equivalency Tool before transferring these credits. Future SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) status can also be affected by transferring these courses potentially reducing one’s eligibility for Federal Financial Aid. More information about SAP. You may order your JST here: Air Force Army, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard.

2. Apply for GI Bill® benefits once you are admitted to Boise State University

There are many chapters of the GI Bill® and you may qualify for more than one. You can see a brief description of them on  our benefits page. If you are eligible for multiple GI Bills®, contact our office before completing this step and we can help you understand the benefits of each one. You can   apply to use your benefits through the VA website . If you are using Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, you can  check your remaining eligibility through the VA website as well.

Once you have submitted the application, make sure it has a confirmation number. If there is no confirmation number, you have not submitted it to the VA yet. Once approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA in the mail in about 7-10 weeks. Our office will need this correspondence.

Under many circumstances, the Montgomery GI Bill® may be more beneficial to you than the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. If you switch to the Post 9/11, you can not go back to the Montgomery GI Bill®. The effective date for your Post 9/11 is also very important, so please come in for help when filling out your GI Bill® application.

All Veterans with a 20% or higher service-connected disability rating are encouraged to apply for VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) benefits. VR&E benefits can often provide benefits beyond what the GI Bill® provides. Typical benefits for a student attending a college or university include: tuition, fees, books, parking permit, supplies, computer, medical, dental, job placement, and other benefits that help the student veteran transition to a suitable civilian career. To verify eligibility, contact the Boise Regional office at (208) 429-2228. To apply for VR&E benefits follow the instructions at this link: VA Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment

3. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA)

We strongly recommend that you apply for federal financial aid. Receiving GI Bill® benefits does not affect your ability to be considered for grants, work-study, and student loans.

Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

4. Apply for scholarships

Yes, student Veterans are eligible for scholarships! See the Scholarship Opportunities listed on the Resources page.

Boise State Scholarship Application

5. Submit Declaration!

After you enroll in classes for the semester, submit this form so we can certify your enrollment with the VA. To receive your GI Bill® benefits you must submit a declaration every semester.

Submit Declaration EVERY SEMESTER!

GI Bill®

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The absence of the registration symbol ® does not constitute a waiver of VA’s trademark rights in that phrase. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at US Department of Veterans Affairs.