Mapping Sagebrush Restoration
What is the ambitious goal of this project?
Mapping and modeling ecosystem dynamics is a key part of natural resource management, from habitat restoration to wildlife conservation. Our team will develop new methods to forecast the success of ecological restoration in sagebrush steppe. We will conduct fieldwork outside and in the computer lab, aimed towards research outcomes that can promote sustainable landscapes.
- See the recent article on this important research.
- This project is supported by NSF award number OIA-1757324 from the NSF Idaho EPSCoR Program and by the National Science Foundation.
- Students will learn how to apply geospatial technology, including GIS software, drones, and GPS, to study ecological processes at landscape scales.
- coding and coding software
- case studies
- mobile tech development
- quantitative research methods
Majors and Interests Needed
We are looking for students interested in working on teams, learning new tools and from the majors, including but not limited to, listed below:
- Bachelor of Applied Science
- Biological Sciences
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Environmental Studies Program
- Interdisciplinary Studies
VIP Coach Information
Dr. Trevor Caughlin is an Assistant Professor in the Biology department interested in seed dispersal, ecological restoration and landowner decision-making. See the full profile.
VIP 200-020, VIP 400-020, or VIP 500-020.
Full semester course. Choose to enroll in 1 or 2 credits.
This team will meet Fridays from 8:30 – 10:30 am in Science/Education Building (SCNC) room 149.
Interested in joining this team?
For more information and to request a permission number to register contact Trevor Caughlin at firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 208-426-3530 OR complete this interest form and someone will contact you. Check out this document for tips on contacting a professor about joining a team.
To register: search by Subject: Vertically Integrated Projects, select section 011 of VIP 200, 400, or 500. Use permission number, here are instructions on how to register.