Academic and Administrative Titles
- Lowercase formal titles when they’re after a name: Alicia Estey, vice president for finance and administration, will speak.
- Uppercase formal titles when they’re before a name: College of Arts and Sciences Dean Leslie Durham will attend the conference.
- Do not capitalize occupational titles and job descriptions.
- We break from AP style and capitalize professor titles when they are before a name.
- Capitalize named and endowed chairs and professorships, even when they fall after a name: Stephanie “Sam” Martin, the Frank and Bethine Church Chair of Public Affairs, will speak at the conference.
- Drop titles and first names on subsequent reference.
- Dr.: Use only for a medical doctor. An exception: President Tromp prefers a “Dr.” title.