Little Lectures for an Odd World!
Brought to you by the College of Innovation and Design and the College of Arts and Sciences at Boise State, MashUps are informal and engaging events that “mash up” topics and invite audiences to make creative connections between the two. Join us for vibrant conversations about topics you’ve never heard of but definitely want to learn more about, including several that focus on our digital future (our 2023 theme).
AI and Meaning & Spiritual Scuba
- Date: Thursday, September 28th 4:00-5:30pm
- Location: Lost Grove, 1026 S La Pointe St
- Presenters: Casey Kennington and Shawn Simmonson
The third in a series of four, this MashUp will feature a short lecture by Boise State Computer Science professor Casey Kennington, giving a short lecture about how AI creates “meaning.” How do large-language models actually “know” what they know, and communicate that to us? A second short presentation will come from Shawn Simonson, Director of the Human Performance Lab at Boise State, who will be talking about the otherworldly experience of living that scuba life in deep blue waters around the world. The audience will then have an opportunity to connect these two topics in a lively Q&A.
Music Meets AI & N-A Cocktails
- Date: Thursday, October 26th 4:00-5:30pm
- Location: El Korah Shrine, 1118 W. Idaho Street
- Presenters: Louis Bash and Chris Kotansky
The last in a series of four, this MashUp will feature a short lecture by local electronic musician Louis Bash, demonstrating live how electronic music comes together and reflecting on how AI can be used as a creative tool, and master bartender Chris Kotansky from one of Boise’s favorite bars at The Modern. Chris will be talking about the secret to making excellent non-alcoholic cocktails, and lucky audience members will get to sample his work. The audience will then have an opportunity to connect these two topics in a lively Q&A.
There will be a cash bar and light refreshments for purchase.
Digital Arborglyphs & Boy Band Fandom
- Date: Tuesday, July 18th 4:00-5:30pm
- Location: CI+D Incubator, 2nd Floor Albertsons Library
- Presenters: Dr. John Bieter and Elizabeth Kidd
Shadowbanning & Rendezvous Reenactment
- Date: Thursday, August 31st 4:00-5:30pm
- Location: Albertsons Library, 1st Floor
- Presenters: Amy Pence-Brown and Karen Wadley