Student Spotlight: Clay McGowen

Q&A with Clay McGowen, senior in Mathematics and Learning Assistant super star!

My name is Clay McGowen, I am a senior at Boise State. I am from Temecula California, a city one hour north of San Diego. I came to Boise State primarily as a sense of adventure; I had heard only great things about Boise and wanted a change of pace and wanted to surround myself with people that held similar values.

Clay McGowen

What are you majoring in? Why?

I am majoring in pure Mathematics with the ultimate goal of being an educator. I found math both challenging and fascinating, which motivated me to focus my efforts and genuinely apply myself.

What experiences in your major have inspired you?

Personally, I’ve been fortunate enough to have excellent professors and mentors. The people that have inspired me to delve deeper into my studies were my Differential Equations professor, Monika Brannick (Palomar Community College, CA), my Discrete and Foundational Mathematics professor Jason Smith (Boise State University), my Abstract Algebra professor Dr. Marion Scheepers (Boise State University), and my mentor Kimberly Kindred (Harvey Mudd College, CA). Each of these individuals provided a deeper understanding of mathematics as well as a unique application and utilization of mathematic truth.

What does student success mean for you?

I define success as doing your individual best, as compared only to yourself. Comparison to others is unfair to both them and yourself; personally achieving your best in everything you do is both self-motivating and focuses the locus of control onto yourself. Often times, we are tempted to compare ourselves to the best student in the class or to the fantasy of perfection. Recognizing self-improvement is challenging, yet, is often the most long term rewarding.

Tell us about a challenging class that you took at Boise State. Did you succeed? Did you fail? What did you learn about this experience?

The most challenging course at Boise State I have taken was Math 305, Introduction to Abstract Algebra and Number Theory. Personally, I feel that I succeeded as I learned much in the course and was able to articulate the findings of my research. I grew deeper in my understanding of math as well as gained experience as a math researcher.

What are three things that you wish you knew during your freshmen year in college?

Going into college, I wish I knew that it was okay to struggle. It’s okay not to have all the answers and it’s okay to get a question wrong once in a while. I also wish I knew that professors are the biggest resource available; each teacher you have wants you to succeed. Take advantage of this through office hours and conversations. Most importantly I wish I realized that my own mental health is just as important as any grade I could receive; self-care is important, take care of business, but also take care of yourself.

What is your take on failure?

Failure is hard to define. Often times, the grade is what defines failure as a student; yet if we take college as a learning experience, the grade in any class becomes less important and the knowledge becomes vital.

Tell us about your work as a Learning Assistant. What are your responsibilities as an LA?

As a Learning Assistant my goal is to convey information to students with the utmost clarity. I supplement lectures with LA sessions where we dive deeper into topics from both a theoretical standpoint as well as an applied perspective.

Why did you become an LA?

I became a Learning Assistant for two reasons: first and foremost, I have a passion for people; helping students understand the subject that I love as well as instilling that love for math in students is my primary calling. In addition, I hope to be a teacher, being an LA is a stepping stone as well as a good introduction to teaching.

What is your favorite part of being an LA?

The best part of being an LA is the “eureka!” moments that I get to take part in. For some students, this takes the form of solving an individual problem, for others it’s the decision to make math their minor or even major. In both cases, the realization that math isn’t a chore to complete but is instead a work to gain insight and joy from reminds me why I fell in love with the subject.

From your experience as a student and a Learning Assistant, if you were to give us one and only tip/piece of advice… what would that be?

As above, go to your professors. In almost every case, your professor has a professional degree in the subject which they are teaching. Their insight is invaluable both from the stand point of expert knowledge as well as the course and what they are specifically looking for. Utilize the free resource and expand your network.