Communication Professor Voted “Best Local Teacher”

Studio portrait of Julie Lane.

Julie Lane

• Assistant Professor
  • Department of Communication
  • College of Arts and Sciences

Julie Lane was recently voted “Best Local Teacher” in the Boise Weekly’s annual Best of Boise campaign.

“There are so many wonderful instructors across campus and in the communication department, so I was touched that someone thought enough of my work to nominate and vote for me,” said Lane.

Lane said she was drawn to study and teach communication – and mass communication in particular – because she saw firsthand while working in Washington, D.C., how influential mass media is in our political culture. Her research and teaching explore media influence from a historical perspective, and how the media continue to influence political discussions today.

“I love to see students truly engage with course content and explore how what we discuss in class plays out in their experiences outside the classroom,” she added. “I’m often impressed by the great questions students pose and the insightful connections they make. Teachers draw their energy from their students; they’re what make this profession fun.”

BY: CIENNA MADRID   PUBLISHED 2:41 PM / SEPTEMBER 28, 2016