The Biden administration just announced some historic news – they have approved permanent updates to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), a program that provides supplemental income to purchase food. These updates include an increase of benefits by an average of 25%, or $36.24 per person, per month, beginning October 1st(1). This will be the largest permanent increase to benefits in the history of the SNAP program.
The increase in benefits is the result of a reevaluation of the Thrifty Food Plan (2). This is the first time the purchasing power of the plan has changed since it was introduced in 1975. “The reevaluation concluded that the cost of a nutritious, practical, cost-effective diet is 21% higher than the current Thrifty Food Plan”(3).
Are You Eligible as a Student?
|You must be…||And meet ONE of the following:|
How To Apply? You can apply over the phone, in person, by mail, email, or fax(4).
- Apply over the phone by calling 1-877-456-1233
- Apply in person by setting up an appointment at your closest field office
- Apply by mail, email, or fax
- Download and complete the application
- Then send it in one of the following ways:
- Email: MyBenefits@dhw.idaho.gov
- Fax: 1-866-434-8278 (toll free)
- Mail: Self-Reliance Programs, PO Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0026
- Be prepared to provide this information with the application:
- ID card
- Household income and resources
- Housing costs
- Current monthly expenses
- If applicable, immigration status