Skip to main content

Student Grievance

Policies and Procedures

Boise State University is committed to supporting students in and outside the classroom. Grievance policies exist to ensure students have avenues to voice concerns and address both academic and non-academic matters. In addition to multiple opportunities to appeal university related decisions, grievance policies are detailed below.

Academic Grievances (Policy #3130 and 3140)

If you have a grievance pertaining to a grade appeal or academic impropriety, you must first consult the course instructor. If you are unable to resolve the issue with the instructor, you should contact the department chair. If the situation is still not settled, you should contact the dean of the college that oversees the department. If the dispute is unresolved after going through this process, you may contact Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies for further guidance at (208) 426-1202. The Office of the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs is located in the Administration Building, suite 202. After all these steps have been taken, you may request for the case to be referred to the Academic Grievance Board/Grade Appeals Board.

Academic Affairs – Student Policies

Student/University Personnel Conflicts

When conflicts arise between students and university personnel, if it is safe to do so, you should first present your complaint to the university employee concerned. If no solution is reached, the complaint should be taken to the appropriate department head or supervisor (or to the unit head or dean of the appropriate college/administrative unit).

If the complaint is against a dean or unit head, it should be presented to the appropriate vice president. The complaint should be presented to and addressed by the appropriate university officials within a reasonable amount of time. For more information on how to handle these situations, or for direction or advocacy, please call the Office of the Dean of Students at (208) 426-1527.

Note: This process does not pertain to discrimination grievances or sexual harassment grievances covered by Policies 1060, Nondiscrimination and Anti-Harassment, or 1065, Sexual Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, and Stalking, or Academic Grievances addressed in Policy 3140.

University Policy Manual

Back To Top